Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bay window over Kitchen Sink

Posted by dilly_ny (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 9, 11 at 22:51

We are doing a kitchen extension and our architect suggested a bay window for over our kitchen sink because I wanted to do a center window flanked by two narrower side windows. He has an Anderson 400 Series, 45-CW135-20 on our plan. This will be in a 16'x24' room, along the 24' wall which will also have a 9' span of casement windows over a window seat. There are no windows along the 16' wall.

This window has a 19" depth and we are wondering whether this is practicle for opening and closing the windows and also cleaning the sill, etc.

If you have a bay window over a sink or have experience with this type of window, can you please comment on whether this is suited for over a kitchen sink. Thank You.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bay window over Kitchen Sink

Bays are common over sinks.

Cleaning them can require a step ladder but that is not really a big deal. People seem to enjoy them.

o

We have a window over our sink with a bump-out about the size you describe (ours might be a tad larger). I really like it. It's a great place to put the dish soap & hand soap (in attractive bottles) and a rosemary plant. Our kitchen faces south so herbs like it there.

Are you looking at casement, awning, or double hung for the sides that open? Casement might be easier to crank out as opposed to leaning out to lift a lower sash. I love double hung windows but just think that arrangement would be likely to piss off my back, and it gets vengeful too easily.

o

EngineerChic - yes, I am planning for casements.

o

"People seem to enjoy them."
They can be a great place to grow plants, including kitchen herbs.

Fresh herbs for the picking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here