Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebird954

Trying to understand PGT Window Pricing...Anyone?

bluebird954
14 years ago

I have investigated prices and have found some real sickening things about PGT's prices.

This is what My brother-in-law quoted me on PGT Impact windows (He is Currently a window dealer and carries PGT, so I Won't mention any names.)

It is really disgusting that Pgt can sell these windows to their dealers and they mark them up so much. Why can't they pass the savings on to the customers and let us buy directly from the factory.

Luckily I got My windows from My brother in law at cost. Here is what the the break down is. This is what makes me so upset and at the same time...thankful.

All windows are white with Grey impact Glass.

PGT Impact Single Hung 12 $76.00 MY COST

List Price $287.00

PGT Impact Single Hung 23 $154.76 MY COST

List Price $560.20

PGT Impact Single Hung 33 $185.65 MY COST

List Price $616.57

PGT Impact Horiz Roller OX 72" x 38 3/8" $192.80 MY COST

List Price $642.60

PGT Impact Sliding Glass Doors XX 6068 $987.77 MY COST

List Price $1874.00

I Got (3) bids from reputable Local Window Companies on just the material portion of the 19 windows and doors that I needed to complete my house.

COMPANY #1 in Pompano 19 openings PGT materials Only $24,687.00

Company #2 in Deerfield 19 openings PGT materials Only $23,420.00

Company #3 in Broward/Miami 19 openings PGT materials Only $25,140.00

MY BROTHER IN LAW 19 openings PGT materials Only $9,343.00

I got My windows at cost what PGT really sells them for. I do not understand why they allow others to set their pricing for them when they should just offer the product directly to the public at fair prices.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my windows, just so thankful for my Brother in law to have saved me from over paying. I got all my windows and doors at 41% of list price, with full factory warranty. and that included sales tax too!!!

Shame on you PGT, Ok product, very lousy dealer Pricing.

Thank you Brother in law !!!!!!!

Comments (81)

• fixizin
    11 years ago

... Lulz.

Let me just add, as a savvy/burned buyer of rental props, that when a seller starts bragging about this or that upgrade (windows, pavers, HVAC, etc.), I then head straight over to the local AHJ Building Dept., and if I canNOT find permit records for such "work", I then start SLASHING my offer price, drastically. I flatly explain that they have EXPOSED me to the LIABILITY of tear-out and re-do, with the associated TRIPLE permit fees/fines.

All to "save" them $75. Smart. Farsighted. NOT!

• millworkman
    11 years ago

fixizin, what the hell are you trying to say?

• anjousa
    8 years ago

Bluebird you are the guy, you told everything I wanna say, and more I will get my reseller acct so I can sell PGT as low as possible and help decrease these overpriced dealers!

• PRO
    Benjamin Hepburn
    8 years ago

Hey I saw your post on your pgt windows. Can your contact price a job here in the bahamas? You can contact me at benjaminhepburn@gmail.com

• PRO
    Benjamin Hepburn
    8 years ago

Looking for windows for a project in Nassau, Bahamas. Can I get those sort of prices?

• PRO
    Palm Beach Hurricane Windows Inc
    8 years ago

The pricing that you claim you paid to the list price seems extreme for PGT products, first of all as a professional in the industry I never sold a product at list price. Also, you claim you got a 41% discount, but the numbers that you show are at a 72% Discount, cost at $154.76 and list at $560.20. (Just for the record if I were selling this PGT list product at $560, my selling price would be about $350 plus tax not installed). Is this PGT list price or your brother-in-laws list price. Dealers can make their own pricing sheets based on what they need for overhead, and overhead is not cheap, warehouse space is very expensive, insurances and licensing is an ongoing expense. Advertising, trucks and employees, employee taxes, unemployment, workers compensation and I can go on.

There is a lot of man hours put into quoting projects, checking design pressures to make sure products qualify for the project to meet building codes which vary by building type, location of building, height of building, location of windows on the building, etc. So there is a lot that you as the consumer does not see but are there.

If Pgt were to sell direct to the consumer, they would have to have warehouses all around the state, this would add manpower and overhead (same as the dealers have to pay). If they didn't have warehouses to pick up from then PGT trucks would have make deliveries in timely manner to residential neighborhoods, and some neighborhoods would be impossible to deliver to from a factory loaded semi, that is 46 to 53ft long. This is why there is a dealer network.

One more thing does your brother in law sell to everyone at cost? If he does I guess he's not in business anymore so good luck on the warranty call when you have problems.

Installations on projects can vary and one contractor may do things on the install that another would not. So you may pay a little more to one company than another but you will probably will get a quality install instead of cutting corners on the cheaper guy. I don't know about you but I expect my windows to stay n the openings when a storm comes.

Bottom line, be thankful that there are dealers that serve you direct in your local area, because you are saving money by dealing with them and putting money into your local economy. Florida would be in bad shape if we all could purchase our products direct from manufacturers, all the money would be leaving our economy and there would be no saving to you, they would still have to add all the costs of dealing with the the end consumer to their prices.

• PRO
    Window1
    8 years ago

Maybe the OP should spend more time searching for a second job and stop complaining about who makes what, its none of his business.

His numbers are bs as well.

• millworkman
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Palm Beach, that post was from 09, I doubt bluebird is even still around. Also his one and only post so I would be fairly certain it was a drive by attempt to either slander or eventually spam the site.

• Ravi Goolcharan
    6 years ago

Do you know what it cost pharmaceutical companies to make a pill and how much you are paying for the same pill.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6 years ago

Not sure of the question here? If you are going to talk about the cost of a singular drug, you must also look at the cost of what it took to get that drug to market as well as all the other failed versions before that. That would be like looking at the manufacturing cost of anything without looking at the back end development costs.

• Ravi Goolcharan
    6 years ago

What I meant was everyone needs to make a profit.

• PRO
    6 years ago

I agree with you 100%. If not, you don't stay in business. That fact seems to be missed by the class warfare mentality that wants to label "profit" a 4-Letter word.

• Ben Steinberg
    6 years ago

We got many quotes when looking for impact windows and doors for our home. We went with Paradise Exteriors and are very happy with our new windows. They are not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

• Chris Wainwright
    6 years ago
    Hi, my wife and I are in Fort Lauderdale and are looking to purchase & install new windows and doors (PGT). Any chance you can refer your brother-in-law to us so we could purchase the windows and doors at cost?

Thank you Sir!
    Chris & Monica
  • M Miller
    6 years ago

Chris Wainright - perhaps you didn't notice that the OP who talked about his/her brother in law did that in 2009. And never came back. Perhaps after all this time the BIL isn't even the BIL any more! That is, if the BIL ever even existed - the OP has the tone of a trolling post, i.e. saying something that is 100% certain to be inflammatory in order to stir the pot.

• Rob Fernandez
    3 years ago

I am currently getting quotes from 4 different PGT dealers in the Tampa Bay area for 7 Impact windows and 4 Impact sliding doors. I am ready to pull the trigger but am unhappy with the pricing. Even though I am getting the SAME PRODUCT codes, sizes, and specifications, some are pricing the individual sliders at $2,000.00 over the other company. I called PGT and was told by someone there what their prices are. INCREDIBLE!!

If there is ANYBODY on this thread that can help me with a better and fair quote, please feel free to contact me or refer me to someone here. Thank you.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Not everyone buys at the same discount. Not everyone has the same overhead and installer payroll. Pick the dealer/installer that offers you the best value (ie solid install reputation and service) for the dollar.

• alysaleve
    3 years ago

Rob this is how it works when purchasing any product of any type, not just windows. I don't see why you see this as incredible. It costs each company a different $ amount in order to keep their business alive and even more to thrive. Is this not the case with whatever you do for a living?Some companies do this better than others, in exactly the same as some companies do better work than others. If this wasn't the case there would be no reason to have more than one manufacturer, retailer or installer for any one product.

In my case I know what it costs to buy the PGT windows I was quoted directly from the lumber yard at what is likely one of the "lowest" markups and then I have a range of installation prices that are comparable from there. The idea is not to install windows for the lowest price. If that was the case then install them yourself and you will see how hard it really is. Installers provide a wealth of other services to the installation of a window. Does a installer that charges $25 a window do the same job as the installer that charges $175 a window? I would say very probably so and for good reason since it costs more than $25 to have a window installed correctly. It's MUCH more important how the windows are installed then what the price is. You should be reading the reviews of people who have used the companies that you are looking to get quotes from rather than just randomly getting quotes. I read the reviews first and did not call many companies after the reviews I saw. I am also only now talking to those that install PGT because they are the only vinyl window manufacturer that has a NOA for Miami/Dade. These are the most stringent codes and the windows actually don't cost any more than ones that do not have a NOA so I don't see a reason to consider the others for us since this also gives us the best insurance benefits also. I did not know this when I first started with pricing windows.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

I've got a buddy in the window business on the east coast of Florida. He's 30% higher than everyone else and busy as ever.

• Lyndee Lee
    3 years ago

Price is only a portion of value. Figure out what benefits are the most valuable for you and your lifestyle and then judge the total project by your most important factors. Quality of installation is most important for some while an owner expecting to sell in a couple years or a house with other issues may be more influenced by price. Some owners wish to be more involved in details but others just want to write a check and not worry about small choices. Like many other discussions, different is not necessarily wrong. Try to find a contractor whose best attributes match your priorities and look for value, not low price

• PRO
    3 years ago

Unless you are buying the product as a cash and carry, to do the installation yourself, how is the cost of the materials important in this calculus?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

Might wanna consider changing careers and enter the lucrative world of window replacement!

• No No
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'm so lost with choosing the right window brand. I'm not quibbling over price although taking it into consideration. Have gotten quotes from 5 installers, checked BBB, Angie's, Zoombuild on all of them. One says do NOT use PGT for midlevel condo. One says definitively only use SIW, 3 installers says absolutely don't use them. One very large reputable company (worried my small condo might get lost in their slew of larger projects) only uses CGI. Yes, I know CGI is owned by PGT but what's the difference between PGT and CGI? Why use one vs the other, considering the price is comparable? And yes I know SIW was bought by Marvin but what makes them good (or not)?

I should note that I'm in South Florida right on the intracoastal.

Anyone who can shed light, I'd be deeply appreciative.

• PRO
    3 years ago

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they are the "be all" of impact rated windows. There are multiple brands out there that meet impact standards. If you haven't, talk to friends or neighbors and see if any of them have had good luck with a product or installer. See if that narrows the scope.

• No No
    3 years ago

WoW, I was hoping you'd respond so thank you. Yes, I've spoken with neighbors in the building and a few others with some experience. Unfortunately, one contractor who did 1/4 of the windows in my building took 8 days to respond to my initial inquiry and then fought with me that the quote he emailed specified brand/materials, when it didn't. He ultimately apologized after 2 days that I was right. He's been almost impossible to track down and only responds intermittently. Red flag for me.

Many in my building have gone with very small, local manufacturers and we've had massive problems with leaks flooding multiple floors so I'm staying away from the local mom & pop or no name vendors.

It's the absolutes some of these guys are giving me ("absolutely don't use PGT for your condo" or "definitely don't use SIW") that have me concerned. I've read as much as I can on here and and the references I mentioned in my original post. Unfortunately, I remain confused.

I may ultimately choose the contractor who offers the best warranty for both windows and installation even though they only use CGI.

• Alex C.
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Clearly there has to be a mark-up for installer to survive. Having said that, the problem in Florida seems to be that there is only an illusion of competition but no real competition. Installers are competing for the business but nearly all buy from PGT/CGI, which seems to be a near monopoly. No one company would survive with so many bad reviews and customer complaints if there was competition. What puzzles me though is why have no other company tried to enter this market if there is so much money to be made? Is it very difficult to make good impact windows?

• Johnny Sexton
    2 years ago

I've been doing this for most of my life. Have you read the PGT limited lifetime warranty. BTW...it doesn't warranty against hurricane breakage. In fact non of the window factories do. How about the stress crack warranty? 1 year? Or the argon gas warranty? 5 or 10 years depending on the window. The companies ABC that you mentioned have probably been in business for quite a while covering up the mess of manufacturers limited lifetime warranties, with their own total lifetime warranty. When PGT does cover a warranty with a replacement window, who installs it???? Right you have to find your own installer. There are inherent costs for dealing with quality reputable companies.

• Johnny Sexton
    2 years ago

Alex C... There are many other companies. Regency, Cws, Simonton, Schwinko...to name some. But, there is only one company that makes "Impact Glass" and that's Cardinal. The differences are in the glass...there are many different types of glass used to manufacture impact glass. All will pass inspection. But, some are much better than others. And more equipped to handle the different pressures that come with living in Florida.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"But, there is only one company that makes "Impact Glass" and that's Cardinal."

Says who...................

• alysaleve
    2 years ago

No No. I am not sure how any companies would be offering anything but PGT if you are on the South Florida Intercoastal area when approval with the Miami/Dade code is now required in about every county I looked at. The other companies that are mentioned meet FBC which is not the same thing and is not approved is what I have been told in the area.

Alex C. I completely agree I also am baffled that no one else submitted for approval in Miami/Dade. I know there are other good manufacturers but as counties increase their requirements they are all going with the Miami/Dade code thus we got the only window that was an option. Makes no sense to me. Shwinco for instance likely makes a better window, really small company, higher cost though and there are negatives about them too but they are intended to withstand bomb blasts.

Johnny Sexton, you are correct the warranties are truly offered by the installer which is why there are issues w/ the small mom and pop installers. When something does happen they can't stand behind it. I was talking to one of my installers about this and he told me on his own he could save me a small amount of money on the installation but he couldn't offer any sort of warranty on the windows beyond 6 months since if/when something happens he just can't stand behind it. So now he does installations for the company we used, says this way he is working all the time. We used a company that offers a total lifetime warranty that they cover and they increased the coverage that is purchasable from PGT for accidental breakage but that seemed silly if you read the details. You are correct hurricane breakage technically doesn't go through the manufacturer or installer, that is through your homeowner's insurance which wouldn't even be worth filing under for a single window or even the cost of a few windows. It would have to be a catastrophic loss for that to make sense.

Take care - Alysa

• Karen
    2 years ago

I’m glad I’m not the only one waking up each day at 4:30am thinking about windows! Im told that current lead times on PGT impact windows is between 28-32 weeks. Ugh!

• PRO
    toddinmn
    2 years ago

Welcome to the new world. It sucks for

us all.

• alysaleve
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Karen- yes that is likely very accurate. We waited longer than that because of what COVID was doing. All my windows but one are now installed but I went under contract in late August of last year. On the plus side the company refuses to let me pay for them until they are all installed, the inspection is done and they have been able to install the trim pieces.

• Karen
    2 years ago

Alysaleve- was this PGT or another company?

• valdupont62
    2 years ago

Has anyone heard of a price increase for PGT on 05/15/21? Or is it a supplier’s selling technique? Thank you

• millworkman
    2 years ago

I know for a fact that all of my commercial glass fabricators have announced a 12-13% price increase across the board on the float glass so yeah I would assume all residential window companies will follow suit with a price increase.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    2 years ago

7/16 OSB is now over $40 a sheet here. That is almost a 600% increase from a few years ago.

• Karen
    2 years ago

I heard the same about PGT price increase. Supposedly Kolbe has not announced any price increase as of today

• PRO
    toddinmn
    2 years ago

just Got an e-mail today, all the shingle companies are raising prices 7-10 % on June 14th. The averAge cost to build A House has increased by roughly 24k since the pandemic began. I know A local window manufacturer that has Gotten an another bill to cover the additional cost of increase in price after he placed the order and by the time he received it after waiting 13 weeks to receive it. My window cost. Went up 6% last month. Bottom line is your quote today may not be good by the time you sign.

• alysaleve
    2 years ago

Hi Karen, yes it was PGT. The last of my windows have been installed now, just waiting on the inspection.

• Stephen Brooks
    2 years ago

Do most companies include in their quotes an item by item, window by window, cost breakdown?

• Karen
    2 years ago

If they don’t, you need to ask for it. The devil is in the details. I’ve had some that didn’t and asked them to go back and they did. It helped me see where one company charged me more for same thing and another added stainless steel screws, etc.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    2 years ago

Asking to have the pricing itemized window by window is reasonable and most companies will accommodate your request. Asking for a breakdown beyond that (labor vs. materials, etc....) is something that most companies won’t do.

• PRO
    Dizzy Donkey Ltd.
    2 years ago

In the US there seem to be serious anti-competitive practices in many retail sectors. Windows and doors are but one example. You will find that it is almost impossible to find price lists for any doors or windows online. It is no accident. Keeping consumers in the dark is intended to prevent consumers having market knowledge. TO ANSWER some of the comments suggesting that it is acceptable to charge such massive margins for essentially putting an order in to PGT... in most cases there is no overhead for stock in a warehouse because most dealers do not keep stock. The only overhead is marketing and administration. It is motivated by pure greed.

In most other countries, windows and doors are substantially cheaper and it is possible to see prices online. Greed and gouging is rife in the US and the retail prices reflect bad practices in many industries aimed and making excessive profits from consumers. You do not have to be a victim, source your products from elsewhere and put these people out of business. That is what the market needs.

• PRO
    2 years ago

Yes. The Evil USA and Capitalism. How dare they. I guess they censor the internet here too?

• Jacob Kosov
    2 years ago

Hello to all. I’m so glad that I found this forum.
    I bought a house in Hollywood FL and planning to move to Florida from NJ next year. The house has original construction windows from 1990. And they are terrible. The house has total 12 windows and two sliding doors. Anyone can let me know how much will be cost me (approximately)to change all windows to hurricane impact windows. Thanks!

• Karen
    2 years ago

No one can provide even a guesstimate without knowing dimensions of the windows and sliding doors, whether you are going to use hurricane shutters or need Miami-Dade approved hurricane Windows, type of windows (vinyl, fiberglass, aluminum, alum clad), single hung/double hung, casement etc. You should expect to easily spend $20-30k “plus” depending on answers.

• Karen
    2 years ago

Ooops, I see you said impact windows.

• DAVIA CAMPILLO
    2 years ago

How can i get in touch with your brother-in-law?

• millworkman
    2 years ago

He hasn't been heard from in 12 years so don't hold your breath................................