Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiberglass entry door window grill questions

Posted by dryslick (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 15, 09 at 22:33

I have a question regarding the window grill options that are typical in new replacement fiberglass doors and sidelights colonial trim. Right now, were considering replacement of our door and were looking at a Therma-Tru smooth-star (model S236).

I was disappointed to learn that the grill width for their "fixed" option, which is applied on both the exterior and interior sides is only a inch wide. I would have thought it would be a wider grill to more closely simulate older wood doors and sidelights. The grill width in our current wood door with the four small windows at the top is 1 3/8".

Would anyone know if the " grill is typical for entry door systems? Are there other door manufacturers we should consider that might have a thicker grill option? Our door and sidelights will have traditional rectangular openings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiberglass entry door window grill questions

Weather Shield or Peachtree will make an entry door with a wide SDL (simulated divided lite) bar to mock the old wood grille option

o

I would also look at Provia and Household Metals Inc (HMI)

o

mattymog and windowsonwashington,

Thanks for those options. Ill check them out tonight. I had looked at Provia a while back and I didnt think they had a four square openings in the top of the door. I think I only saw two. Ill re-check tonight.

Our lunch, I found out that Jeld-wen offers a 7/8" "fixed grille" option in their doors but they are unclear on what fixed grille means. Their PDF states "Fixed grille options include various simulated divided lite (SDL) patterns for an authentic look.". However, the grills are only shown in a "Gilles between the glass" section of the PDF so it isnt clear if they provide an interior and exterior grille with the bar between the glass.

Thanks again

o

Mattymog,

I was just on Peachtrees site and saw what you were talking about. Peachtree offers exterior Colonial doors with clear glass 7/8" SDL gills including a spacer bar. That is exactly what I was looking for. However, I haven't heard good things about Peachtree windows. Im going to create a new post to see if anyone has opinions specifically on Peachtree doors.

Thanks for your input

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here