Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing window sashes

Posted by DJM253525 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 22, 05 at 22:26

I have ANdersen windows in my home. The house was built in 89/90. THe windows are are painted white interior and clad outside. Can I just replace the sashes? I want the interior wood so I can stain it. I don't like the painted white trim.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing window sashes

Marvin's "tilt-pac" is a sash replacement kit that meets the requirements you mention. The only thing I don't like about it is that the vinyl jamb-liners are so visible.

Weathershield makes the same thing. I haven't seen those in person yet, but they look nice online.

o

When Andersen came out with their tilt window, they were making tilt replacement sash kits to replace older Andersen sashes, just as you describe. I don't know if they still make it. An Andersen dealer (not HD,etc) should be able to help you.

o

If you just want a sash replacement, meaning no frame replacement,sash only, then you need an insert (Marvin's name for sash replacement). Go to Marvin.com for a dealer near you and check them out. I don't know what other companies call their products.

o

Marvin's sash replacement kit is called the Tilt-pac, not the insert. Go to their website and search for tilt-pac. I believe Weathershield also makes a sash replacement kit.

o

Marvin Tilt Pac requires removal of the original frame and are put into a rough opening. The Insert system is a sash replacement into the existing frame.

o
RE: replacing window sashes .

Ok, Ok, I was wrong about the frame replacement. Tilt pac offers a double hung sash replacement, Insert is also a sash replacement, but offer the Ultimate Double Hung option. Neither one requires the frame to be removed.

o

JELD-WEN makes a SASH replacement window in their Caradco Collection called ZapPack, and they can be purchased at any Home Depot store. Most Home Depot stores have a JELD-WEN window display in their millworks department. These windows can be ordered with different divided lites (e.g. Grills-between the Glass, Removable wood interior, Simulated divided lites, etc.) with traditional or custom grill patterns. They are available in all wood or Clad-Wood in 6 colors and can be ordered in standard and custom sizes. Home Depot also carries Anderson Window products, and have a display as well, but I was told that Anderson did not have a SASH replacment window.

www.jeld-wen.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here