Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainella_gw

Vytex Windows

rainella
9 years ago

I have been a long time observer of this forum and just recently embarked on my new window quest. I have seen a few brands mentioned here as well as champion and andersen; both of them were long and agonizing sales pitches.
My last and hopefully final estimate was a window by Vytex, it was the hp series. The window seems to be well made and had features similar to soft lite elements series windows that was also appealing, albeit very expensive.
The vytex certainly wasnt cheap but i cant seem to find a lot of useful information. The nfrc numbers and air numbers seem to be very competitive with many others. We like the price and the look( the lock also serves as the tilt latch) if you can visualize that.
Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

• brockwin
    9 years ago

When you say " hp series", i am assuming you mean the potomac series hp. That is the only vytex window with the duel tilt/ lock feature. Fwiw, that is the same feature the elements window you mentioned has as well. Personally, i like it and feel it renders a sleek look.
    I have always felt that Vytex was one of the most under rated windows out there and was always surprised more companies dont offer it. They make a good window and i have seen it more than once. The numbers are very respectable and comes with some nice features. Looking at their website they seem to be a bit behind with interior woodgrains, they only offer one color( cherry) ?
    They have another window called " fortis" that seems to be slightly below the potomac but looks good{{gwi:807}} as well, although i have no experience with that one, only the potomac.
    What was it about the Elements that you thought was expensive? Sometimes an established company will charge more than some local guy because they have strong labor warranties.
    Keep us updated.

This post was edited by brockwin on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 22:35

• rainella
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you. thats correct, it was the Vytex Potomac.
    we were quoted about 578 per window with double pane glass and argon and low-e.
    we are now heavily leaning towards vytex. the elements was very solid as well but about $50 more per window.
    we are now thinking of doing a patio door as well. opinion on that?

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

The Potomax and Fortis have some nice standard features and have very respectable performance numbers. I am not familiar with these and don't know why they don't receive the love that other brands so often do here. Looks like the Fortis would be a good way to save some dollars since it seems to be very comparable or even the same window as the Potomax with less bling.I would concentrate more on the installation details and would go with the contractor you are more comfortable with since they are so close in price the Soft-Lite unless someone else can point out the short comings of the Vytex.

• brockwin
    9 years ago

Those vytex prices do seem good . That is for replacement i would assume?
    Todd, its been a year since i have seen the vytex so i would really need to put the vytex and soft lite side by side to make distinctions.
    I remember seeing the vytex and liking the look quite a bit. I did operate it and it was definitely solid. The potomac had a slightly different frame from the fortis, thats what i was told at the time. From the brochure, that does seem to be the case. Screen was solid but i dont remember if it locked, the elements does.
    I did see the sliding patio door and it reminded me of the soft lite " kings royal" in many ways. Very sturdy and operated very smoothly as does the soft lite. I would recommend it unless the price is outrageously high.
    Both of those patio doors also come with a sloped sill rather than a pocket sill.
    Patio doors with pocket sills also seem hard to operate for whatever reason and that can be an issue with elderly customers.
    Pocket sills are notorious for clogged weep holes and thats not something you want happening with a patio door when you have heavy rains. Same goes for a double hung window. stay far away from anything that has a pocket sill, capture sill, or a sloped sill that is merely snapped in opposed to being welded. You can easily spot a pocket sill by noticing weep holes with plastic flaps on the lower part of the windows exterior. Those flaps are meant to open and enable water to escape. Issues arise when those weep holes clog and usually those flaps break off and allow bugs to enter the window.
    Sometimes a window brochure will state their windows use a welded sloped sill and thats what you want.

• rainella
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We decided to move forward with the vytex potomac series. We also decided to do the patio door as well. We are spending quite a bit of money and think now is as good a time as any to do the patio door, this way everything gets done together.
    We are looking at 3 or 4 weeks for the install. I was hoping to have it done before Christmas but thats not going to happen.
    Thank you everyone !

• rgrpark
    9 years ago

How did the potomacs turn out? Considering them for a possible purchase right now.