Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nu_homeowner

Soft Lite Windows versus Milgard

nu_homeowner
14 years ago

I have gotten two reasonable quotes for 17 replacement windows and wanted to ping this board for advice on both the brand, as well as confirmation that the price was right from both suppliers. Both are double hung vinyl windows. The first window was from Milgard, their Tuscany series window. The second was from Soft Lite, their Imperial LS window.

I was quoted $6900 for Milgard and $6250 for Soft Lite. Could folks weigh in on both the price as well as your opinion on the superior window? Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

• skydawggy
    14 years ago

Softlite would be the better window. That is a very good price for either window.

• nu_homeowner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks- the Milgard price was reduced to where it is pretty comparable to the price of the Softlite. Neither one is going to budge any further on the price at this point.

I'm likely going to go with Milgard - more than anything else because my wife likes the ease in which they open and close (seeing that the prices are comparable). I'm' a novice at this, but from what i can gather the Softlite window does appear to be the better window.

Thanks for the input - I appreciate it!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    14 years ago

The Imperial LS should be easier to open than the Tuscany and you would be making a huge mistake to buy the Tuscany over the LS for that reason.

The LS comes standard with a Teflon coated balance spring assembly which makes for more fluid operation.

The LS also bests the Tuscany in every other measure of performance (U-Factor, Design pressure, Air infiltration, etc).

If the basis for buying the Tuscany is some aesthetic reason, that is for you to decide, however, if there are any performance consideration...you need to pick the LS.

FYI...the LS is typically the more expensive of the two windows by about 15%

• nu_homeowner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for that. It seems the performance of the windows are pretty close -

I was impressed with both installation companies, but the one with the Tuscany had an impressive showroom and had a good track record with customer service. I was also impressed with the LS windown and installation company, but i was not able to see a full window, open and close it, etc.

I've now seen both and can make a more informed decision.

What are your thoughts on the Tuscany's lock system and 1 touch opening system?

I appreciate the feedback.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    14 years ago

I haven't met a PAL (positive action lock) that was worth a heap from any manufacturer.

They are gimmicky and don't work that well over time nor do they seal the window as well.

If you like one company over another, that is one thing.

The windows are not comparable from a performance standpoint.