Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clear screen materials?

Posted by andi956 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 9, 06 at 21:17

Hi All,

I know this is a windows forum, but thought some of you might know the answer to my question.

I have a *perfectly* good storm door on the front of the house. I just painted the door red...but it shows as black from the street. (The old door color *was* black so it never occurred to me the issue might be with the screen.)

I hate to spend $200 on a retractable storm door when all I need is a transparent netting. (We got one for the back of the house and I like the idea, but find the Anderson tabs hurt my fingers!)

Does clear door netting exist? Lowe's and HD say it doesn't and I can't find it online but maybe it's called something else?

Any ideas???

Thanks! We really want to see the red!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clear screen materials?

Try your local glass shops. They may offer re-screening, or at least screen mesh for the DIY'er. The low visibility meshes are usually not sold in this fashion, and are only available on a new unit, but it's worth a shot.

o

Thanks.

Gosh..that seems like such a shame/waste/scam. I hate to get rid of a perfectly good door when all I need is clear screening.

I'll try them.

Anyone have other ideas?

thanks,

o

Just order a replacement *window* screen from a manufacturer such as Pella or Andersen with the high transparency screen, discard the window screen frame and keep the screening material, and put the high transparency screening into the existing door screen frame.

I assume what you're referring to is the nearly invisible screening that was recently introduced about 2 years ago. One can not usually find it in a door because you may walk right through it, so manufacturers supposedly don't offer it in doors. It lets through about twice as much light as a conventional screen, but I don't know of anywhere that one can buy the screen material unless you order a screen from one of the above two manufacturers.

o

I don't know if I'd recommend that. These screens use a different type of spline to keep the mesh tight, and they may not be compatible to the door frame. Besides, if you tear the mesh trying to pry it out, you'll lose an awful lot of money.
If you shop around, you'll find something better than what you have.

o

• Posted by
    NedaO
    (n@N.com) on
    Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 15:40

haven't tried them yet... but it looks like you can just order the material!
http://www.inlightenscreens.com
Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: InLightenScreens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here