Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tortured

Installing Marvin Clad Gliders

tortured
14 years ago

I discovered these forums by accident, seeking info re Marvin Clad Gliders. I have been reading the "Andersen v. Marvin" etc. threads with great interest and appreciate everyone's comments on replacement window comparisons.

My house was built in the 60's and currently has single-paned, aluminum-framed sliding glass doors and slider windows. I am in the market for replacement windows and after conducting some research (including this website) and speaking with local installers, I have decided to use Marvin wood interior/aluminum exterior clad gliders for my patio doors and tenatively for my sliders. I wanted to pose my questions towards installers or anyone who has posted comments on Marvin windows and may be able to help me by offering any comments they may have here.

Recently I had a retailer/installer stop by my house to inspect my layout for creating an estimate to have the doors/gliders replaced. He indicated that windows replacement is conducted by applying one of two processes - what he called "new construction install" or "retrofit install". He suggested that I could not have such Marvin models as the CGL6030 used for windows replacement via the retrofit method; and only if the new construction install method is used. Basically, he indicated that the difference between the two is that the nci employs replacing the flashing within the vicinity of the frame because the tarpaper will be damaged when the frame is replaced and the rft will not work for Marvins because their frames will not fit over the existing frames.

His idea for nci is to install flashing underneath the nail-on fin/flange; nail the fin/flange to the wooden studs past the flashing; install another layer of flashing on top of the fin/flange; replace the frame and repair any damaged flashing incurred while removing the frame; install the new frame and reflash in that area; trim inside and replace the outside trim.

Is it true that I can't use the Marvin clad gliders if I want to save money by using the retrofit method? Do his nci install steps sound ok or is anything ommitted/erroneous that should be included?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments (2)