Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window for gable can't be made--help!

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 13, 11 at 20:15

Our Georgian style home has an oval window designed for the gable in the front, center of our house and is supposed to be 10" tall and 18" wide. The window rep ordered the wrong size and the company now says they cannot manufacture the window this size because the grills for it (supposed to be 8 lite) would be too small because of the size of the window. The house is framed, the roof is up, we were just waiting to install this window and now we don't know what to do. The gable is not large and cannot accommodate anything larger, but this is a crucial design feature on the home. We also have one on the gable of the detached garage, but that one is larger (this garage sits back a bit compared to the house) and so they have no problem making that one. What on earth do we do? thanks for any suggestions.By the way, Marvin is doing all the windows, but Parrot is supposed to make these oval windows.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window for gable can't be made--help!

here is a link that shows our elevation....
http://docupub.com/docs/dd4e8898-8440-466f-b6bf-f17ebd638db1/elevq-11.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: front of our house

o

I would suggest that you re-size that image on only show exactly what you need to.

Your link was taking forever to open and was locking up my browser.

o

Whose idea was it to have Parrett manufacture the Oval Windows? At this point I would ask if the Signature Products division of Marvin can make it for you. It may take 12 weeks but they should be able to make one for you. The grille may be the issue with them as well as I have no idea what type of Grille your speaking of be it SDL or a Removeable Grille with spokes only or a surround which may limit the options (same as Parrett).

o

The Marvin rep suggested Parrett because he said they are better at this kind of thing. This will be grilles only on the exterior because it is cheaper. We are now looking into having it made out of mahogany because Parrett says they can't do clad in this size. Uggh.

o

The Marvin rep, or the salesman for the company your buying your Marvin's thru? When I sold Marvin the only reason we used Parrett was because they offered specialty windows as a better price than either Marvin or Kolbe. As far as "better at this kind of thing." that I will say I do not agree with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here