Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window primer?

Posted by GreenHighlighter (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 19:46

Hi all --

We're about to start a major remodel and home addition and our contractor wants us to look into windows first. Is there a good primer we could read on windows before meeting with him and hitting some shops? Right now, I have no clue about anything, but people keep mentioning Marvin and the windows that are plastic or metal or something on the outside and wood on the inside (it's a good budget option?).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window primer?

These boards are a great starting point and there are several other discussion boards on the same subject matter.

o

Please do research and be aware that all vinyl windows do not look or perform like most of the junk you will find at Home Depot, lowes, and other supply stores.
There are high performance vinyl windows that look very nice and perform much better than a wood window .
Higher end vinyl Brands would be:
Okna , HiMark, Soft Lite, Sunrise, Gorell, Starmark

o

Hmm... I thought I replied but I don't see it up...

Anyway, thanks to both of you. I did find this primer: http://windows.lbl.gov/pub/selectingwindows/window.pdf (posting it here in case anyone else comes across this thread looking for help).

I did contact Okna b/c I saw a lot of recommendations for them on this board, but they don't sell in California.

One question after reading that primer. How important is the u-factor and solar gain/loss in a moderate climate? I live near San Francisco, and our weather is in the 40s-50s in the winter and 70s-80s in the summer. But we do have on one of our floors, one wall that's almost completely all windows facing west.

Thanks! And I'm sure I'll have more questions after we meet with a salesman.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here