Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Sunrise Specs Versus Okna Specs- posted also in a reply

susanlynn2012
10 years ago

3 okna 800 " EnviroStar" deluxe double hungs Triple Pane glass- climaguard lowE / Argon gas fill- magnetic seal - foam filled frame - Composite non metal spacer system- reinforcement bar - locking half screen- white hardware- Grids between glass ( 9 over 6 )
Add 60 per window for tempered glass on bottom Add 32 per window for antique brass or nickel hardware

Okna 8800 " elegante patio door
Same specs
double pane
$150 more for triple pane
Remember, triple lane is heavy on a door. I think i would prefer you get double pane for the door and triple for the windows, the patio door is extra strength tempered glass, there will be plenty of noise refuction.

Hmi entry door
20 guage textured steel
Add $50 more for Fiberglass.

Now comparing the specs of the Okna with the Sunrise dealer, which are better windows? Which are better Patio doors? Which are better front doors? The Okna dealer actually came in at a little bit less in price and he is so knowledgeable and nice. He brought over one of his windows that I loved. The Sunrise dealer is also knowledgeable and nice but bought over no sample windows for me to see how they work or what they look like.

Is tempered glass important since my windows are so close to the floor with only 10" of room from the bottom of the floor to the window sill?

So I now have three quotes. One from the Renewal by Anderson Salesman that tried to pressure me to buy that day and not only can't provide me with a front door but his price was so much more money and I was not impressed.

Then the Sunrise Dealer and the Okna Dealer which are both very nice salesmen that do not pressure me and seem to know windows and doors.
-----------------------------------------------------
Here all all the specs from the Sunrise Dealer:

Sunrise Vinyl Replacement Windows - Triple Glaze Ultra-U-Plus High Performance Low "E" Glass, Contoured Colonial Grids, Foam Filled Frames, Contoured Recessed Locks, and Poly Foam Wrap Insulations, Opti-View Screening, White inside/outside, Lifetime Transferable Warranty.

Sunrise Vinyl Replacement Patio Door- Ultra-U Plus High Performance Low "De" Glass, Multi-Point Lock with Keyed Entry, Quad 4 Layer Weather Stripping, Top Hung Rolling screen, Heavy Gauge Aluminum Threshold, Colonial Grids (required by my townhouse complex), Lifetime Transferable Warranty.

Pro-Via Heritage Series Door (Fiberglass)

Comments (13)

• doorproz
    10 years ago

The okna will have slightly better performance numbers. As i said in an earlier post, if it wasnt for the fact that there is another okna dealer close to me, i would offer the okna 800 in a heartbeat, its a very nice looking window and built solidly.
    Okna also makes a beautiful patio door, sunrise is very nice as well. That said, okna has slightly better performance numbers there as well and again, its built very well. It also has an anodized aluminum threshold and brass rollers. I do agree with your dealers recommendation regarding double pane glass on the patio door opposed to triple. Triple pane is great on windows but can be very heavy on a patio door.
    Hmi or provia? its a coin toss, i sell both. I would use either.
    Your okna dealer is correct, if glass is less than 18 inches from the floor, tempered is required. Your dealer seems to be on top of his game based on your comments and him recognizing you need tempered glass.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you doorproz for your input which I value as you sell windows and doors and are so knowledgeable!

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

Tempered glass is probably not needed in your case unless they are very large double-hungs or have stricter codes then IBC codes in your area. Weather or not it is worth it is up to you.I believe the Okna has a much thicker or at least sturdier frame, and no internal glazing bead, I'd say Okna for the win.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

+1. Both are good, but I'd give the nod to the okna. The 800 series is the best vinyl window on the market in my opinion. I also prefer the welded frame on the okna door. The sunrise door is very nice, but a mechanically fastened frame is unacceptable in vinyl windows, so it is beyond me why it would be desireable in a huge door. It's easier on the installers, but at your expense down the road.
    Coin toss on the entry doors.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1

Okna wins in that comparison in my book as well.

The Elegante is a heavy door but is as well built as them come.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Great feedback above. If this was the Restorations or Vanguard by Sunrise I'd give a slight edge to the Okna, but being the base Sunrise, while still a good choice, the Okna wins hands-down. I'd also recommend double pane in a sliding door. That is a heavy unit.

• vbhomeowner
    9 years ago

From the Sunrise Website, it indicates it sliding door is indeed fusion welded, not sure perhaps karateguy was looking at the essentials line. Besides, it has a lifetime warranty which is nice. Both are nice and you are seeing more and more Sunrise and Okna in our area now. Both are great looking windows and doors.

• Karateguy
    9 years ago

vb, the sash panels are welded, however the frame is "knock down", meaning that it comes in pieces and assembled via fasteners as described above. Undesirable for long term performance in comparison to a welded frame. Don't get me wrong, it is a good door, but a welded frame is superior. Additionally, Sunrise only has one door offering.

• PRO
    9 years ago

+1 Karateguy.

I do like that Sunrise door but if the frame is KD, that is a weak point in my opinion.

No matter how good the door, the KD frame is a detractor in my book.

This post was edited by windowsonwashington on Fri, May 30, 14 at 8:06

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

+2, I agree with the pros above. Nice door, prefer welded frame when all else is equal.

• vbhomeowner
    9 years ago

Thanks for correcting me on information - not totally clear from Sunrise website and as I am looking to replace 2 patio doors in addition to rear windows began to look at it again. I have Sunrise windows in front of house and am very happy with them with Loe366 glass (they call it something else). Doing them in rear now. At time I installed in 2012, no Okna dealer dealer at time in VB area, now there is one and a good friend installed them, loves them as well. Based on that might consider Okna for the doors but will stay with Sunrise for Window as I like consistency of look and I get raves about them. So my question to Pros is what is the normal up charge for vinyl door in a width that is half way between 60 inches wide and 72 inches, apparently the standard widths. Right now have one fixed in-swing 66 wide french door. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Can't go wrong with either option.

If you have a good relationship with the Sunrise dealer, historically you would go back to that person if you were happy with the install and product performance.

• vbhomeowner
    9 years ago

Thanks

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!