Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
every window impact resistant - oberon?

Posted by rileysmom17 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 18:08

I am considering purchasing a beach-front property on the southeastern Atlantic coast. The beach side faces due south. On the east and west are houses fairly close in - think modern subdivision. The street is on the north side. On the south side, only 2 windows on the partial upper story are totally exposed, the rest are under a good sized porch roof.

Shaking with fear at the $$ of hurricane-rated windows, I am wondering if it would be possible to use a mixture of windows, eg hurricanes only on the south. I've never been in a hurricane and I don't have an idea of how debris gets moved around and whether there is such as thing as a "safer side" in this situation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: every window impact resistant - oberon?

If impact windows are required they are required for every window and door in the house.

o

Well, they're not required by code. I'm trying to be a smart shopper and not overkill on the window purchase.

o

All you have to do is decide what direction the wind will come in a hurricane (and do not forget the direction reverses as you move across the cyclone).

o

Well if I am not mistaken a good part of the uplift and damage from a hurricane is to the backside of the house (which is where Design Pressure is from) so I don't believe i would only look at the direct the storm comes from.

o

Impact windows are not there for uplift, but from flying debris that can easily punch out regular windows.

While the design pressure may be on the lee side, the flying debris damage is to windward.

o

Flying debris is correct but the debris would break out the window causing the envelope to fail which will cause the uplift. The whole premise behind the straps for the house to the foundation, the rafters strapped, the sheathing, the windows installed with clip or straps is to prevent the envelope or exterior of the house from being compromised.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here