Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiberglass or steel door for intense heat exposure?

Posted by TimLanai (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 18:07

We are replacing our front entry door. Our house faces south and gets direct sun exposure for most of the day (no overhang). The front door gets baked so much for 6 months of the year (in Tennessee) that our brass door handle many times is too hot to even touch without burning yourself. Which material is best suited to deal with that kind of heat - steel or fiberglass?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiberglass or steel door for intense heat exposure?

Either materials will do fine. It is the finish that will likely break down first. A storm door with a screen on it in the summer would certainly help diffuse the sun's energy as well.

o

be sure to invest in a storm door with a built in ventilation system because a storm door can trap heat and cause problems with fiberglass as well as fade the finish on either steel or fiberglass.
be sure to choose a higher quality door not something at home depot or lowes. i would look at ProVia, HMI , Homeguard, and Polaris.

o

Either should be fine assuming a quality product, but I suppose the steel would be a better choice. Either way, I would avoid installing a storm door if possible, unless you use a screen or vent it as mentioned above to prevent that heat build-up.... Heat will take a brutal toll one way or the other.

This post was edited by HomeSealed on Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 23:42

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here