Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salbwil

Marvin problem

salbwil
11 years ago

Hi,
I just had another email from the rep who measured for new Marvin clad windows to install in our home. These windows would be a full replacement and included were two picture windows , one to be an awning , two double hung, one awning , and one a double hung with a semicircle above. The rep came twice, the second time with an installer. He has sent two quotes for the windows alone. The first we thought was complete. The second was to be for the windows and installation , but was instead for the windows and brickmold casing he decided we needed . With this second quote was a statement telling us they could not do the install and said they could recommend a contractor if we wanted. At this point, I am disappointed, and confused. What next , and where do we go from here ?
Salbwil

Comments (10)

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    11 years ago

First of all, this is not a Marvin problem. It is an installation issue. You must have something going on to where the installer backed out. I would take their recommendation for an installer and move forward.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

+1. Has nothing to do with Marvin, just a contractor that doesn't want the job for some reason. Maybe he quoted it too low or something.... As eastbay said, next step is to call another window company or two.

• salbwil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They never did give me a quote on the installation, just said they were not able to do it. there is only one other Marvin dealer near by and I have called them. I know there is a lumber company that carries Marvin. Is it ok to get a quote from them ? And, does anyone know if Marvin's warranties are valid if installed by private contractors and not their own ?
    Thank you,
    Salbwil

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    11 years ago

If the lumberyard has Marvin displays, I would get a quote from them. If they simply say, they can get Marvin I would be a little more hesitant.
    Marvin warranties are product oriented and not necessarily related to the installation. There are no issues with using non-factory approved installers. Just avoid the lowest bid and go with a competent installer and you should be fine.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

the installer/ company might have saw or sensed something he didnt feel comfortable with and decided to walk.

• salbwil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think you're correct in they're finding something with one of the windows. I think it is the semi circle installed over a double hung. They could not figure out how to do it and have it look right inside as well as out. What is there now is a Pella double hung with a Brosco semi circle over it. The semicircle is rectangular inside and a semicircle out.....don't know how else to desribe it. It was installed 35 years ago , so if one is familiar with Brosco from that era, you would understand.
    Salbwil

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Half round windows are installed everyday and I doubt that is the reason he bailed on giving you a price or being able to take your project on. It is more than likely he cannot do it in your time frame or something along those lines.

• salbwil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There was no set time frame mentioned. I still think it was this window that had them puzzled, but they also kept changing the prices on the windows .....this after we were plain in telling them it was to be a full replacement , including frame. I don't know whether someone didn't do their homework, or they just didn't want the job. I think if that was the case, they should have been more up front with us . The nearest Kolbe dealer is quite some distance away to see their product , but that is the way we are looking now.
    Salbwil

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Kolbe price should be a little cheaper just make certain to get the Kolbe Ultra series as these are extruded aluminum clad and not roll form (which you do not want)

• salbwil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all. Will let you know how we eventually make out.
    Salbwil