Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midwest_dave

Window ID?

midwest_dave
9 years ago

I know there's a lot of window companies out there but I wonder if anyone recognizes these? I've never seen a latch like this before. They are from 2006, single hung vinyl, probably low end builders grade, central Illinois. The condensation is like this most mornings in the winter, some days and windows do it more/less. I was hoping to find the specs on these for comparison against new windows. The builder isn't around anymore. Let me know if there's other details that might help in IDing these.

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Do the lower sashes tilt in?

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

That design doesn't look familiar to me, however if the condensation is your main concern, my first recommendation would be to address the humidity level in the home so that you are not dissatisfied with a purchase of new windows.
    That is quite a bit of condensation regardless of window quality .

This post was edited by HomeSealed on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 22:12

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

I have seen those windows which are popular in both town homes and condo's. They are builders grade, no doubt about it.
    Is the condensation only in the morning hours?
    If the glass is inefficient, you will get condensation because the glass is so called and clashes with the heat within your home. Also, if you have a humidifier, check the settings, it may be set too high.

• midwest_dave
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The condensation is only in the morning and the window coverings seem to have some effect on how bad it is. This window has honeycomb cellular shades and seems to condensate the worst. It only got down into the 20s overnight before this pic, on colder mornings the condensation will spill off the window and down the wall. Other windows with curtains or blinds aren't as bad. I thought maybe the honeycomb shades don't allow the window to breathe or the condensation to evaporate? We don't run a humidifier and the house seems dry (static on carpet, gaps in hardwood, etc..) but I don't know what the % relative humidity is or should be. It's a ranch on a 3/4 finished basement, the 1/4 crawl does have a vapor barrier laid down although there's just scrap 2x8s holding it down on the edges.

I had the seal on one of the panes in a sliding door (TimeLine) go out within the warranty period and the guys who came out to work on it didn't recognize the windows as being TimeLine. They said something about newer homes being built so tight? I have timers on the bathroom vents and run them for 30-60 minutes after a shower. We don't have an air exchanger or make up air system.

The windows are drafty even on days without a strong wind. That "latch" doesn't seem to be anything more than a security latch. They're fairly low profile and there isn't enough width where the sashes meet for their to be a typical latch. Cold windows is my main reason for replacement.

The lower sash does tilt in. I looked at the metal seal between the panes and it has "ARROWSPACE 06" stamped in it.

I appreciate all the comments so far. What would be some good manufacturers to consider for new windows (Anderson, Pella, Jeldwen, etc)? Or should I just look at the energy/performance ratings?