Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwenrick

Slocomb Windows ( reviews)

gwenrick
10 years ago

Anyone know about slocomb? Looks like they have a ufactor of .22 with double pane glass.

Comments (27)

• db54
    10 years ago

abysmal experience with their specialized 7700 series which is actually 2 dbl hungs & a picture window. The workmanship & quaility on the first one was a horror show and the 2nd one still has it's series of issues. From failed gap seams to questionable ratings since the temporary nor permanent energy saving stickers were nowhere to be found. The sash failed to open properly.

The ECOVIEW window that Slocomb provides does not get my seal of approval. just the opposite.

with regards to the earlier poster, I've added a picture of what Slocomb claims was installed as referenced to the NFRC ratings (grid & no grid). What is important to note that there are several variation type window parts that can be interchanged in the 7700 series. Each one carries a different set of ratings. How & who chooses which one is installed is still a mystery. 2ndly, no window should be leaving a factory floor without properly identification of the type of window sticker. This goes to also show the lack of quality control in their manufacture.

This post was edited by db54 on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 12:36

• PRO
    Suburban Windows
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I dealt with both products and was a Newtown dealer for several years. The product are pretty good and the comment about the hard coat low E is correct. This is one of the reasons I stopped selling there windows. The biggest reason is there service is the worst. I've been a window contractor for 30 years and have worked with many window manufactures, Newtown is one of the worst with there service. Replacement windows are subject to many manufacture problems from glass fogging and broken mechanical parts, rarely is there a problem with the installation and as a contractor we are also a free service agent to our suppliers. All we ask is to get us the parts in a timely manner so we can service our customers. Newtown has made me wait months for simple parts making excuses and not communicating professionally. I now deal with Okna Windows for the past several years and I have hardly any service and if I do it is resolved in a week, this is how it should be. Home Owners need to check on the service of the contractor as well as the manufacture.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    7 years ago

That was a nice sales pitch but you need to work on your timing.

• PRO
    Suburban Windows
    7 years ago

Not a sales pitch, it's me being fed up with Slocomb and telling it like it is. I didn't pitch my company but I shared my honest experience with both mfg.

• windowsforall
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

So you just joined and decided to dig up an old post where you can get the opportunity to bad mouth a window company???? Thats strange and anyone reading this will know you have some alterior motive and its not about helping others.

• Jim Lewis
    5 years ago

Sales pitch or not, he got my attention cause I'm looking at both these that he mentioned. I still favor the Okna though the Slocomb 677 boasts a .19 SHGC whereas the Okna has .30. Is this due to the interior hard coat lowE as well? :)

• PRO
    toddinmn
    5 years ago

The solar heat gain will depend on the glass package selected. Most companies, including Okna many glass packages available. A higher solar heat gain can be a better number in some cases. Okna does not use a hard oat on surface 4.

• SParTan DAwg
    3 years ago

no update for long time - how are both companies now? is Quality and Service any better for Slocomb?

• Window Genius
    3 years ago

If you live in the north or the northeast, you want a higher shgc. .26-.31 in double pane.

UFactor is totally different and a better guage on energy performance; the lower, the better.

• JMW Firebird
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Slocomb Windows in PA is not a company I will ever do business with again. I am a contractor in Virginia and referred many clients to this company due to recommendations from my local window provider, Dodson Glass. When I decided to build a sunroom on my house, I bought 9 full length windows from Slocomb myself. Within a few months they started to get moldy. Dodson got me in touch with the representative Chris from Slocomb who told me "ALL windows have mold" obviously that is not true. I argued with Chris and was told if I didn't like the mold I can take the windows apart myself and peel back the faulty seal and clean the mold. I would need to reapply the same faulty seal each time the mold grew and the windows had to be cleaned. Frustrated I attempted to contact Slocomb myself. They refused to respond to my written letters. I went to the Better Business Bureau told them of the situation and that I was requesting written proof from Slocomb that they would honor my windows warranty if I took the windows apart to clean the mold. I did not ask for new windows, I did not ask for a refund or any money back. I only asked for a written guarantee that if I did what their representative told me to do that I would not void my windows warranty. Slocomb refused to respond at all to me or the BBB. Unfortunately since Slocomb is not accredited by the BBB, there was nothing the BBB can do, and nothing I can do outside taking legal action. I have told all my clients, and other contractors I know about this issues and most will never use Slocomb again. When I see forums like this I tell my story so you too can decide if this is the type of company you want to do business with. The mold on my windows is seen from the inside, which ruins having a room filled with beautiful windows to look through, when you instead get to look at mold. My photos are close ups of a small part of a window just weeks after the install. You can see the mold and the water pooling behind the seal. I have this on 9 full length 6 foot tall windows, on the top and bottom of each, all the way around a sunroom. Imagine how that looks! I'd think long and hard about using this company. I will never use them again.

• HU-270492343
    2 years ago

My windows are less than a year old and mine are also moldy.

• fridge2020
    2 years ago

i dont care for the window but the rep is right. The only thing they did wrong was to use white for that seal instead of black so it wont show dirt. There is no mold growing on your window, its only on the dust and dirt.

• William Rossman
    2 years ago

Agree, there is no mold on the window or inside the window.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    2 years ago

Any discussion of what the relative humidity in the home was? Seems mildly unfair to hang this around the neck of the window manufacturer without any real data on the site conditions.

• JMW Firebird
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The windows were not dirty, I had one window tested, it is black mold. The humidity in the main house is 40%. There is no mold anywhere else in the house, just on these windows. Anything else you'd like to ask I'm happy to answer. The windows are poorly made. if you reread what I originally wrote, " I did not ask for new windows, I did not ask for a refund or any money back. I only asked for a written guarantee that if I did what their representative told me to do that I would not void my windows warranty. Slocomb refused to respond at all to me or the BBB." The Rep told me to take these windows apart to clean the MOLD, if I do so, I wanted a guarantee Slocomb would still honor my warranty. That's all I asked and Slocomb never responded. I will never buy Slocomb Windows again. I urge anyone interested in a Slocomb window to reconsider.

• PRO
    2 years ago

Pictures didn't really do me in favors here. Are you noting the "mold" on the exterior glazing and glazing bead interface? i.e. nothing on the inside of the window?

• HU-270492343
    2 years ago

The mold is on glaze bead between the panes which is why it is not accessible for cleaning.

• PRO
    2 years ago

How many people am I talking to here? Are you and JMW the same person?

Regardless, you still didn't answer my question. Is it between the glass and the glazing bead on the exterior...or the the interior. Makes a difference in terms of its origination and source.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    2 years ago

I'd agree with the others. It appears as though that mold is between the glass and sash frame on the exterior. That seal is there to shed water and dirt, but some can get past. There is a path for drainge for that, however a little bit of dirt can accummulate in there.

As far as guaranteeing, I suspect that they wouldn't commit to that as you could damage something in the process.

On the other hand, if that is growing in between the glass panles of the IGU on the spacer(doesn;t look like that) then that should be warrantied as a failed seal.

• HU-270492343
    2 years ago

I have the double pane- the glaze is on the exterior pane and the mold is on the glaze that rests between the 2 panes (faces iinto the house) - can’t clean it because it is between the 2 panes. I’m sorry - I don’t know how else to describe it.

• HU-270492343
    2 years ago

My windows were installed Dec. 2020.

• fridge2020
    2 years ago

If the mold is between the glass panes how did you have it tested?

• HU-270492343
    2 years ago

That was not me

• PRO
    2 years ago

I am still waiting to see if they are the same person? This discoloration is NOT between the panes of glass and is the result of accumulated atmospheric debris between the glazing bead interface and the glass. This is NOT an IGU failure. This is from moisture and the debris that is carried with it that is lodging between the Surface 1 of the IGU and the sash frame/glazing bead.

If I had to guess, I would say that you have significant tree coverage of that area/windows in question are under a deck. The area in question can be somewhat cleaned with a flat putty knife as some vinegar or bleach.

Any pictures of the windows, installed in the walls, from further back?

• JMW Firebird
    2 years ago

I'm thrilled so many of you have decided there is no mold in my windows. I have had them tested. The installer helped wit this. Yes they were installed by a professional who by the way is the one who initially complained to Slocomb. Taking the window apart was the idea of the SLOCOMB REPRESENTATIVE who the selling company had contact me and the installer. Slocomb has yet to respond to the BBB, Me the window supplier, or my installer.

If you want to buy their windows, go ahead. I was trying to warn others not to.

• William Rossman
    2 years ago

JMW firebird,

I simply dont believe you. I think you are passing blame on Slocomb when its not their fault.