Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soredust_gw

protective film on anderson windows removal

soredust
13 years ago

Anderson Window Protective Film thats been on over 3 years, the manufacturers recomendations is 9 months. Looking for an easy solution if anyone can help. The interior comes off normal but the exterior rips apart and stays on. Trying to avoid using razor blade. Thanks

Comments (6)

• jocobe
    13 years ago

If your glass is the new LowE-4, then you do not want to use razor blades.

Call Andersen @ 1-888-888-7020 and ask them. Last time I talked to them about the issue, it involved using white scotch brite pads.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

While I don't recommend the use of razors on glass, there isn't anything special about Andersen E-4 glass. It's just the Cardinal 366 glass Andersen rebranded to make it sound like it's better than their competitors. Andersen pushes it for every installation because of the tax credits and it's the only glass that cam be used in their windows to get them to qualify. It's really designed for a warm climate because of the low solar gain. It is not appropriate for Northern Climates and should be used sparingly elsewhere.

• oberon476
    13 years ago

The protective film is called Preserve and the exterior easy-clean coating (I would not call it a film though) is called NEAT. Using razor blades to remove the Preserve film will damage the NEAT coating, even if you may not see the damage it is still there.

The Preserve will need to be warm in order to remove it. Do not try to remove it cold. Using a hair drier may help and then you will likely have to remove it strip by strip - it is still probably going to be a pain unfortunately.

You are also likely to leave some adhesive behind. You can use acetone to remove the excess adhesive, but be very careful because while the acetone won't harm the NEAT coating, it will damage both the paint and coating of the window sash and frame and there is no warranty for that damage.

If you can wait until spring it might be easier...but that is up to you now.

Good luck

• ibwindows
    13 years ago

"While I don't recommend the use of razors on glass, there isn't anything special about Andersen E-4 glass. It's just the Cardinal 366 glass Andersen rebranded to make it sound like it's better than their competitors. Andersen pushes it for every installation because of the tax credits and it's the only glass that cam be used in their windows to get them to qualify. It's really designed for a warm climate because of the low solar gain. It is not appropriate for Northern Climates and should be used sparingly elsewhere."

Skydog are you really in the window biz? You seem to be full of some really bad information. Bordering on you haven't a clue what you are talking about. What's up with that?

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Please feel free to point out what I'm wrong about. I await your response.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath