Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yeonandjamie

Is this a fair price on a Provia door system?

yeonandjamie
12 years ago

I'm looking to replace my current, front entry door. I have a quote from a local window/door company for the ProVia Signet fiberglass (style #150 SOL) with Schlage Plymouth satin nickel hardware and the ProVia Deluxe full-view storm door (style #397) with satin nickel hardware for $4,060 installed. The door is standard size.

Reason I'm asking is another company quoted $4,400 for the same door and storm door and when I told them I had a quote for 4,060, they said they couldn't match that price as their price at $4,400 was at cost (they would throw in the cost of the install b/c they're replacing all of my window).

I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

They aren't making much at $4400. I don't know how another contractor is going to do the exact same install for $4060. My guess is something is being done for $4400 that isn't being done at $4060. It could be the cladding, casing, and/or could be the difference between the 10 year and lifetime hardware. Might even be that the cheaper one is being done as a retro-fit with a steel L-frame as opposed to a full frame tear-out.

• yeonandjamie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input, skydawggy. The cheaper priced company should be doing a full-frame tear-out but I will double check on that.

As for the 10 year vs. lifetime, the $4060 option comes with the 10-year hardware (didn't know there was a lifetime hardware). As for the cladding, the cheaper option also stated we could "upgrade" to the "executive package" with the cladding matching the storm door. Otherwise, they will retrofit their own material (does this sound right?).

Not sure what you mean by casing.

Thanks again!

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

It's less expensive for them to do their own cladding as opposed to having the door shipped from the factory already cladded. The casing would be the interior trim. Some companies do not replace it and that would account for a lower cost.

The difference between the Executive package and the standard package would account for the differences in price. Just make sure you understand exactly what each company is doing.

• yeonandjamie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So the proposal at $4,060 is as follows:

Remove the front entry door and frame. Install a Provia Signet fiberglass insulated entry door in a Pineguard lifetime rot proof wood frame, style 150 SOL Mahogany grain, with zinc famed triple pane leaded tempered insulated glass, Schlage lifetime Plymouth handle and single cylinder deadbolt in satin nickel finish, satin nickel ball bearing hinged, adjustable threshold, weatherstripping, full wood frame cladding on exterior, and Mahogany stain finish both sides of door, and new inside molding. Install a model 397 full view storm door with satin nickel contemporary curve handle and screen and storm.

So, it looks like the casing will be replaced. As for the cladding, I will have to look into it. And is the Pineguard wood frame the way to go in this case?

Also, I have the option to upgrade to the Decorator series 590 full view storm door for $140 more plus $65 for the screen. Is this worth the extra $205?

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

That's a pretty good price on the door.

The main differences between the Deluxe and Decorator is the Decorator is a thicker extruded aluminum frame with insulated foam core. Screen door on the Decorator is extra.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

+1 to sky's assessment. I am not sure how they are selling the door at that number but that is very aggressive.