Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamela_crane

New Mexico Replacement Windows

Pamela Crane
12 years ago

Hello, I wanted to know if any have suggestions for replacement windows for high desert/strong sun areas. I have a 2003 production-built house in Santa Fe, NM (elevation 7000 ft) with huge metal-frame windows that leak air through the frames. One patio door is broken (exterior pane), so I must replace it.

I have had visits from Renewal by Anderson and from Home Depot who sell Simonton 6200 and 6500 windows. I am not convinced Renewal is that good a product for the cost. If vinyl will not "melt" in this climate, it fits the budget better.

I like the narrower sash profile of the Simonton 6200 series versus the 6500. With the extra 366 LoE coating it seems the performance is similar to 6500 Series that people on this board seem to like. Gorell and Soft-Lite do not have dealers in New Mexico, and Okna has yet to contact me.

I am on my way to check the Marvin Integrity showroom (fiberglass composite). I think this is a superior product to vinyl but I suspect out of my price range. I wanted to hear from others who may have used Simonton vinyl windows in this climate (hey you guys in Utah, Colorado, Idaho, & Northern Arizona!)

Comments (3)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

You will be fine with Simonton in your area. I would recommend you order them with sash reinforcements on all windows. Not sure you will find Gorell, Softlite or Okna in the S.E but it would be worth checking to see if Amerimax, Anlin or Milgard are available. I would also check with a Simonton dealer before going with Orange. You may get a better price and a better install.

• Pamela Crane
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Unfortunately Simonton does not have a dealer in New Mexico, and neither do Gorell, Okna or Soft-Lite. Have requests to see about Amerimax, Milgard and Anlin. Thanks for those tips.

As an aside, after reading more on this site, it seems I will want the standard LoE coating not the 366 because I want the solar gain in winter, brrr. These particular windows face southeast and northeast. Santa Fe has few really hot days, and this house in particular stays pretty cool with no A/C.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Ask for either PPG's Solarban 60 or Cardinal's LoE 270 depending on which glass the manufacturer uses. Those 2 companies make up about 75% of the residential glass market.