Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Window Caulk

Posted by nerdyshopper (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 28, 10 at 15:28

I am having new vinyl windows installed. From what I have read on building sites, the best caulk for this purpose is urethane caulk. My installers have never heard of it and want to use silicone or latex for paintable interior caulk. I can get Loctite window, door and siding caulk made from urethane at Lowes. Otherwise I can get OSI Quad. I asked if they would use the Loctite and they said they would. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I read that Latex shrinks and eventually cracks. We got some pretty deep scars in our tile sills and plaster surrounds so I want to replace the tiles and use paint once the caulk has cured, to cover them up. Also I noticed some of the facia bricks outside got chipped pretty badly when they were prying out the old metal frames. What would you do to hide this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Window Caulk

The only exterior caulk we use is OSI Quad. Silicone is OK to use on the inside. If your installer has never heard of OSI Quad, you have made a serious mistake in selecting him.

o
RE: Best Window Caulk

OSI quad is our most often selected caulking as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here