Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HomeDepot VantagePointe 6500: is Simonton 5500 or 9800 the same?

Posted by rawdeal21 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 10, 11 at 14:52

I'm leaning towards Simonton for our window replacement and plan to get additional quotes from local Simonton dealers. We like the look of the Home Depot 6500: does the Simonton 5500 or 9800 have the same or better look? Also, how much of a price premium can be expected going with the 9800 versus the 5500?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HomeDepot VantagePointe 6500: is Simonton 5500 or 9800 the s

The Reflections 5500/Prism Platinum is nearly the same window as the HD 6500. The 9800 is Simontons Flagship window but performance wise is almost identical to the 5500/6500/Platinum.

If you like it, get a quote from a local Simontons dealer before deciding. I would also recommend you understand that there may be differences in installation techniques between HD and a Simontons dealer, so ask a lot of questions before committing.

o

Thanks Skydawggy. What about the frame? Is the frame for the 5500/prism as wide as the frame for the 6500?

Also, what questions should I ask HD and the local Simonton dealer to understand the nuances of their installation process/style? HD claims they offer a lifetime craftman warranty for the 6500. Won't that help if the installation goes bad?

o

Except for very minor differences such as different vent locks and some slight warranty differences, the 6500/5500 and Platinum are identical. At one time, Simontons used two main distributors. One was Norandex, who they created the Prism line for and the other was Bradc, who distributed the Reflections. Up until recently, Simontons also made windows for Sears and at one time made windows for Certainteed. All essentially the same window with slight cosmetic differences.

HD use subcontractors for their installs. Some people report good results but many report major problems. If you get assigned a good installer then the odds of having a problem are diminished. Otoh if you don't get a good one, it couldvturn into a really bad situation that you would have no control over.

Example: The installer is in a hurry to meet his buddy's at a local bar so he rushes the installation, cuts a few corners and doesn't get the insulation right. You call HD a few years later and complain so they send a manager out. The manager tell you there's no such thing as a perfect air tight window. What are you going to do?

Problem with HD is you may get a good installer but you may not. You can't check references because you have to accept whomever they assign to you. With a local company, you can ask for recent jobs you can call and at least get a sense of how the company does business. Point is, don't think you can wrap yourself up in the security of a warranty and think that translates into quality workmanship, it doesn't. The best warranty a company can have is to get a high quality install. With that, the odds of ever having a problem are greatly diminished and if a problem does arise, it's usually an issue with the window and not the install. Items like glass seal failures are very easily fixable without necessarily getting the installer involved in most cases.

o

skydawggy it's funny that you said that they subcontract. I asked the window consultant in the Home Depot and he said "Nope these guys will show up wearing Home Depot aprons." I expected the truck to say Home Depot (nope) and the installers did not wear anything with Home Depot logo. The installer said if you have any issues with the install then call Home Depot and they will call my manager. If you have a problem with the window then call Home Depot they will handle it.

o

What is your point e.?

This post was edited by millworkman on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 10:26

o

I think the point is that the Home Depot person said they don't subcontract but that was not the case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here