Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rawdeal21

HomeDepot VantagePointe 6500: is Simonton 5500 or 9800 the same?

rawdeal21
12 years ago

I'm leaning towards Simonton for our window replacement and plan to get additional quotes from local Simonton dealers. We like the look of the Home Depot 6500: does the Simonton 5500 or 9800 have the same or better look? Also, how much of a price premium can be expected going with the 9800 versus the 5500?

Thanks.

Comments (19)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

The Reflections 5500/Prism Platinum is nearly the same window as the HD 6500. The 9800 is Simontons Flagship window but performance wise is almost identical to the 5500/6500/Platinum.

If you like it, get a quote from a local Simontons dealer before deciding. I would also recommend you understand that there may be differences in installation techniques between HD and a Simontons dealer, so ask a lot of questions before committing.

• rawdeal21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Skydawggy. What about the frame? Is the frame for the 5500/prism as wide as the frame for the 6500?

Also, what questions should I ask HD and the local Simonton dealer to understand the nuances of their installation process/style? HD claims they offer a lifetime craftman warranty for the 6500. Won't that help if the installation goes bad?

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Except for very minor differences such as different vent locks and some slight warranty differences, the 6500/5500 and Platinum are identical. At one time, Simontons used two main distributors. One was Norandex, who they created the Prism line for and the other was Bradc, who distributed the Reflections. Up until recently, Simontons also made windows for Sears and at one time made windows for Certainteed. All essentially the same window with slight cosmetic differences.

HD use subcontractors for their installs. Some people report good results but many report major problems. If you get assigned a good installer then the odds of having a problem are diminished. Otoh if you don't get a good one, it couldvturn into a really bad situation that you would have no control over.

Example: The installer is in a hurry to meet his buddy's at a local bar so he rushes the installation, cuts a few corners and doesn't get the insulation right. You call HD a few years later and complain so they send a manager out. The manager tell you there's no such thing as a perfect air tight window. What are you going to do?

Problem with HD is you may get a good installer but you may not. You can't check references because you have to accept whomever they assign to you. With a local company, you can ask for recent jobs you can call and at least get a sense of how the company does business. Point is, don't think you can wrap yourself up in the security of a warranty and think that translates into quality workmanship, it doesn't. The best warranty a company can have is to get a high quality install. With that, the odds of ever having a problem are greatly diminished and if a problem does arise, it's usually an issue with the window and not the install. Items like glass seal failures are very easily fixable without necessarily getting the installer involved in most cases.

• e.gudas
    11 years ago

skydawggy it's funny that you said that they subcontract. I asked the window consultant in the Home Depot and he said "Nope these guys will show up wearing Home Depot aprons." I expected the truck to say Home Depot (nope) and the installers did not wear anything with Home Depot logo. The installer said if you have any issues with the install then call Home Depot and they will call my manager. If you have a problem with the window then call Home Depot they will handle it.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

What is your point e.?

This post was edited by millworkman on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 10:26

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

I think the point is that the Home Depot person said they don't subcontract but that was not the case.

• johnjoyclyn
    8 years ago

I had the same problem with HD. The first window was extraordinary. The follow up was great. I decide to get another. The first one was installed without a followup; pieces were missing. The HD person who brought the missing pieces did not like the sound coming thru the window. The local store rep said that he didn't see a problem. I reordered a upgraded window; better but still loud. I like the windows but hesitant for HD to install

• johnjoyclyn
    8 years ago

what about the milgard with the z bar replacement install?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    8 years ago

Do you have Stucco?

• johnjoyclyn
    8 years ago

no, brick

• johnjoyclyn
    8 years ago

It is an all brick home with metal headers

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    8 years ago

No need for a z-bar/stucco flange type install then.

• johnjoyclyn
    8 years ago

I saw a millgard video that said when changing windows try to leave the metal frame in but put a replacement window in with a extended edges and bond the edges to the frame. this was the AAMA? certified way to install a replacement window?

• Bud Clark
    7 years ago

What did you all wind up choosing? Are you happy with that choice in retrospect?

• HU-887966447
    8 months ago

I’ve worked for THD for almist 4 years now, the 6500 which is exclusive to THD is ”close” in design to the Reflections 5500 (Consumer Reports #1 vinyl window 2/23) BUT with two major differences! Our 6500 has two ”standard” features that would be considered ”upgrades” on the 5500. The first is the 6500 uses the Supercept spacer system vs the Intercept used on the 5500. Secondly, the 6500 comes standard with 7/8 IGU, Double Double-Strength glass, which significantly reduces external noise penetration and accidental glass breakage. This is an upgrade option on the 5500. We also offer a doulble lifetime, transferrable warranty on the 6500 with Accidental glass breakage covered for the first 5 years. A unheard of lifetime labor warranty called ”the promise” which states you will never have to deal with the manufacturer or the installer (as ALL the other companies do by having a 1-3 year labor warranty) you have a problem you call the Home Depot and we’ll take care of it. And you’ll never have to worry about us retiring or going out of business in the next 15+ years!

• Window Genius
    8 months ago

The issue with your simonton ( exclusive 6500 ) is that the air infiltration rating is much higher ( not good ) than the higher end vinyl brands such as Okna, Soft Lite, Sunrise, Vytex, Kensington. Simonton are indeed bulky with a very old design.

• millworkman
    8 months ago

Not to mention Simonton was purchased by PlyGems, not sure they will keep it as it's own line as around my area they have already been rebranding and the Simonton name is gone at HD.

• winston1man
    8 months ago

Apparently Home Depot needs to spam now... @HU-887966447

Good thing on that warranty. If Home Depot installs it...You're gonna need it.