Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large glass window wobbles

Posted by djohn554 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 8, 10 at 14:42

I have 2 large (~3.5' x ~8') windows on both sides of the fireplace in my new home. The one closest to the door is tempered (required by code). The tempered glass wobbles in the middle of the glass when an exterior door is opened or closed. It is not loose in the frame - it is the middle that wobbles. The normal (plate?) glass does not wobble at all.

Is this a problem with the glass or is this normal for tempered. Builder/window company says it is because it is tempered, but the will replace with normal glass if I want them to.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large glass window wobbles

Anyone?

o

Oberon would probably be able to help.

The larger the window, the thicker the glass should be so it does not flex. I have a gauge that I can put on the glass to show me the thickness of each piece of glass and the space in between the two pieces of glass. So that would be the easiest way to tell. But I'm not sure what you can do with the information, other then know that the window manufacturer went cheap on the thickness of glass.

o

That is normal.

The window closest to the door is more intimately tied to the framing of the door and therefore will bet more of the vibration energy.

I should not be a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here