Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
collapsed windows

Posted by laurenwiz5 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 28, 10 at 14:29

I am writing for some advice from the experts that I have read on this site. I have read a lot of information about collapsed windows.....due to migration of Argon from my Andersen windows. We built our retirement home in central Wisconsin in 1993, but began living here in Sept. 2009. We had seen the condensation on our occasional visits before, but did not realize the severity of the problem until we lived here. Last Dec. I contacted Andersen and was delighted with their quick response. They informed me about the problem and acknowledged the problem in my windows. They sent a technician who drilled the windows and they have been good since. Except that they still have a fair amount of condensation - around the edges and mold develops. But mostly, I am concerned about dampness in the wood....especially on my french doors. Even to the extent that on very cold days we have frost developing right on the wood. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had windows replaced.....what should we do get this taken care of?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: collapsed windows

If the condensation is between the 2 panes of glass, you have a seal failure. If it is on the exterior of the glass surface but on the inside of your home, you either have too much humidity in your house or the removal of the argon gas combined with a metal spacer has caused the glass to become cold at the edges and moisture laden air is dropping below it's dew point when it come in contact with the glass.

Bottom line...start saving for either new windows or at the very least glass replacement on those most affected. You could try reducing the humidity in your house and making sure no drapes or blinds are restricting air flow around the windows.

o
RE: collapsed windows

You will be much more likely to get condensation around the perimeter of the window where the conductivity of the spacer system is more evident.

Do you have an idea as to what the Relative Humidity in the home is? That is what is sounds like the problem is to me with your quick description.

+1 on the rest of Skydawggy's suggestions/observations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here