Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pella installation problem - what to do?

Posted by will_out (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 14:24

Just recently had two Pella windows installed - yeah yeah I know, and I'll create another post for why I shouldn't have done that, but for now my issue is:

besides the generally awful installation job, with the last day of rain there is now water seeping in through the bottom left corner of the window. There is a shim placed right in the corner and it looks like the water is wicking through the shim, but it's hard to tell. I suspect the installers basically just screwed the window directly to the buck and foamed without any use of water barriers.

here's a link to a photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/m8Dvb8U0M1sTfwVgSqA7z9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

I have the installer coming next week to fix other problems with the install - what should I demand about this? Does this require the window being totally removed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pella installation problem - what to do?

It is tough to tell from the pciture what exactly the issue is but from the descrtpition of how the window was installed he needs to remove the window and install it properly. Print a copy of the installation instructions from Pella and hand them to him or find someone who knows what he is doing to install these windows. Installation is not the most difficult thing to do if the instructions are followed correctly but from your description it sounds like the process was flawed right from the beginning so there really is no choice but to remove and start over. Weather barrier of some sort is essential.

o
RE: Pella installation problem - what to do?

not that this is the case with you but when i see issues such as this, its usually because the homeowner was looking for the best bargain opposed to looking for the best installer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here