Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows Low e - Want clear windows

Posted by Dave_089_J (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 14:19

I just had some low e windows installed. The brand is ply gem and they are vinyl windows.

The problem is the glass is quite dark and has a pronounced green tint. So much so that the room has a muted look with a green tinge. These windows are going back and will have to be redone.

What low e glass is the clearest?

I live in Oregon and although I want a low e glass, the energy efficiency of the windows is not that important. I want the clearest glass available that is low e.

We do not have air conditioning so I would not save on that cost. The weather here rarely gets that hot. However it would be nice to reduce my heating costs with low e glass.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows Low e - Want clear windows

It depends on which manufacturer your window company uses but as an example if it is Cardinal, you want to choose their low e 180 which has a center of glass visible light transmission of 80% (thus the 80 in the 180). Look for the highest VT and you should be happy.

o

+1

Low-e darkness is a direct result of the thickness of the coating. This should have been discussed or properly indicated for your climate but many windows installers don't quite understand the proper selections of low-e for a given climate.

o

I will look into the 180 glass and find a product that seems as clear as possible.

Before these windows were installed I never realized that glass would have tints or be darkened. Up to this point we have always had clear glass in our houses.

Thanks for the responses.

o

Low-e 180 has a VT rating of 0.80. Clear, double pane glass has a VT of 0.82 - 0.84.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here