Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
callmejane

interstate vinyl windows

CallMeJane
11 years ago

Hello,

I am in the very early stages of building a new home. I am deciding among bids.

Thanks for all your help!!!

This post was edited by CallMeJane on Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 18:10

Comments (10)

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

i will tell you this.. Okna 's mid line windiw ( 500 series ) has a Total Ufactor of .25 in double pane glass with argon and a .19 with triple pane argon.
    right there that makes a rather big statement. further, the okna 500 air leakage rate is only a .02 which is phenominal. so clearly this is not an apples to apples comparison. interstate is an ok window but okna will be on another level of performance.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

i just noticed the pricing for Interstate.. that price is WITHOUT INSTALLATION..

• millworkman
    11 years ago

mmarse1 is correct, it is a average window at the best and your definitely not getting anything comparable to either Andersen 400's or pretty much and Okna product.

• CallMeJane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow....Thanks for the input.
    Are Okna prices competitive? Is there an average rate for installation? Like, can I factor like $200 per window for installation purposes?
    Also, is 0.1 of a difference in U factor major?
    I appreciate your help.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Tough to say what your contractor will charge for installation because there are several different levels.

I would look at the Okna Insul-Tec (500) new construction. You can order it with extension jambs and it is about as cut and dry as it comes.

Where in PA are you located?

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

as you stated, the Interstate double hung in double pane has a ufactor of .29 whereas the okna has a .25 . thats a .4 difference. additionally, the okna is made under tighter manufacturing tolerances and is an overall more solidly constructed window.

• CallMeJane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Im in Northeastern PA, near Scranton. I told my builder to look into Okna and will get a quote myself.
    The builder I am leaning towards, that quoted me for Andersen 400 Woodwright, got a quote from Pella for vinyl and he said that it was $10,000 less than the WoodWright.
    I havent looked into the Pella vinyl and Im pretty sure thats what we have in our townhouse right now. Are those comparable to Okna?

I appreciate all your help!!

• millworkman
    11 years ago

In a word, NO and in my opinion Pella vinyl may be worse than Interstate. There is a very good reason they are $10g's less because there is a ton less quality. Andersen 400's in my opinion are still the best window Andersen makes in spite of their trying to reinvent themselves as a custom window company.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

No !!!! pella vinyl windows are bottom of the barrel as is andersen vinyl ( silverline).
    some other higher end vinyl brands are soft lite, sunrise, and gorell.
    its amazing how so many local contractors dont have a clue when it comes to quality.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

+1

Feel free to post up a take off list and I am sure someone can get you some pricing.

How many openings do you have?