Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skylight help

Posted by Colorado_Al (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 12:13

OK. So with help of several great forum members we have settled on Sunrise for the windows for our addition. My wife is really interested in a skylight for the bedroom too. If it were just up to me, we would not be getting a skylight. However, I am a proponent of "Happy wife = happy life".
So, what direction can you give on a skylight that will not just be a gaping hole in the roof? We are using scissor trusses for the roof and are looking for a standard size 21"x46". Fixed glass. We have been quoted a:
Velux fixed skylite model FS C06/2004, temp.
over lami glass, 366 low-e, prefinished white
interior, r.o. 21" x 45-3/4", standard EDL
flashing kit.
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks!

This post was edited by Colorado_Al on Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 12:16

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skylight help

Velux makes a nice unit, and the happy wife thing is very wise :)... Any more pointed advice that you are looking for?

o

Just wondering if there are any other options I should consider. Thanks!

o

Solar tubes are pretty effective and cheaper, but some people don't like the appearance.
In terms of alternative brands, Velux pretty much sets the bar in skylights.

o

I thought about a solar tube but my wife wants to see out at the sky. Velux it is.
Thanks!

o

+1

Go curb mounted, with Low-e.

If you have a bunch of sunlight or it is near a bathroom, you might want to consider the vented one or some shades on it.

o

Years ago we rented a house for 2 years with a skylight in the master bedroom ceiling. Delightful except during thunderstorms or naps. Thunderstorms were like trying to sleep with a strobe light in our faces-unbearable. I'd ask your wife to consider how many minutes a week/year she'll be awake to look at the sky and how many hours storms or bright light might be an annoyance. Or pay more for some sort of shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here