Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephenson_gw

Need recommendation on replacement window installer in Atlanta

stephenson
9 years ago

Hi,

Have a mid 1960s house in NE Atlanta - 38 windows in all. Getting initial pricing and researching brands and lines ... but, even with Angie's List it is a bit daunting.

Has anyone in the Forum done this recently in Atlanta with great results - willing to share a recommendation or advice?

Thanks!!

Comments (10)

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

No regulars here from the ATL, but you should have access to the better products there. Contact manufacturers of the products that you like and ask for referrals.

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

It's been about 10 years, but we used Kucera Construction to replace about 25 windows in Alpharetta. They only do windows and doors and were very organized and prepared, very professional job. They were certified installers for a couple of brands. Link to their website below, the site had issues with my ipad though.
    Kevin Kucera Construction
    190 N Peachtree St
    Norcross, GA 30071
    (770) 448-5217
    kevinkuceraconstruction.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Kucera Construction Atlanta

This post was edited by lkbum on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 18:54

• stephenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the inputs ...will do some checking and let everyone know what I do.

Btw ...I have been reviewing replacement window installation process ...looks like one has a choice to either pull just the windows and rails and slide in a new window, or remove the old frame, as well. While one gets more net window area by replacing the frame, it appears to be much more labor intensive.

Has anyone done both types? Offer an opinion? The house has brick on first story and siding on second story.

Thanks!

• stephenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry ...posted too soon ...I was considering doing this job myself ...I have the time and am pretty good skill-wise. Would just order them from Lowes or HD and do them whenever I have time ...the frames are in good shape so could use inserts, but the larger windows look a bit better. Also, I need to remove the old storm windows and repair holes and repaint the exterior trim, anyway ...

Thoughts?

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

If you are using vinyl, you are wasting your money by purchasing anything from lowes or home depot. They have garbage windows.
    Choosing a good contractor really isnt that daunting to be honest.
    Soft lite, sunrise, and okna are all available in georgia. Call each respective company and have them direct you to a dealer.

• stephenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good point, mmarse1 ...those three manufacturers keep coming up as the go to solution ...I'll get connected via their corporate folks.

Given that my interior case moldings are all off (the house is a remodel and had paneling everywhere) and I have to remove the existing and waaaaay ugly storm windows and repaint anyway, it would seem like a full frame replacement strategy would make some sense - could I install full frames from inside and leave brick mold on - assuming no sill rot or damage? I was thinking about ordering and installing 6-10 windows at a time to deal with cash flow issues ...

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Take a bunch of pictures. We love seeing the progress photos on poster's projects.

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

Brickmold would need to come off. The full tear out is a bit more invasive. I'd definitely recommend some significant research I you intend to try this diy

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

I would strong advise against it, contact a pro that has experience. Far too many things can go wrong.

• stephenson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi again All,

To mmarse1 last comment ...not sure what can go wrong ...if full window just need to rebuild trim on outside, including sealing well and brickmold and sill.

I do like idea of inserts, so will focus on companies that have narrower sashes ....would seem to be best bet to minimize the differences in look between insert and full window replacement. Might have gone with full window replacements, but the sills and trim are all very solid.