Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmatlosz

marvin infinity quote--please help asap

dmatlosz
10 years ago

Hi,

we are looking to change out 20 windows in NJ and we were quoted $26k for the follow Infinity windows all are Simulated divided light(SDL) with low-e 336 glass. I am use to replacing windows by myself so I had sticker shock for the infinity windows installed. Is this a reasonable price?

2x picture windows size 12x61 (with DSL)
1x double hung size 46x61 ( 4 over 1)
6x double hung size 32x61 ( 4 over 1)
5x double hung 36x54 (4 over 1)
3x double hung 31x61 (4 over 1)
1x double hung 32x50 (4 over 1)
2x double hung 32x49 (4 over 1)
Please help ASAP as we are in a super time crunch.

Thanks LDH

Comments (40)

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

Doesn't sound alarmingly high to me considering the window - Integrity wood/ultrex with simulated divided lites. Since those have the 4 9/16" jamb, there's probably a fair amount of trim out being done too.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

Sorry, just noticed you said it was the Infinity window, not the Integrity. Still not ridiculously high to me, considering the product.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

That is indeed around the "going rate" for that product. Whether or not they are worth that price is another story, but it is within the normal range for that product. As Ultra said, they do have some expensive options which will drive the price up as well.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Infinity is way overpriced based on its " average performance numbers in my opinion.
    I would be remiss in not telling you to take a look at Starmark Windows by Okna.
    You should be able to google a Starmark window dealer in your state.

Starmark is not vinyl, its a cellular composite that has MUCH better energy efficiency and structural numbers than the Infinity does. Another bonus is that Starmark will probably be alot less expensive.
    Starmark Windows are probably one of the most energy efficient windows{{gwi:807}} i've seen.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 14:57

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Very normal pricing on that product.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Morsels raises a good point about the Starmark composite. Similar type of product (not vinyl or wood), but with MUCH better energy efficiency ratings than the Infinity, particularly air leakage. I see that you are located in NJ, I'd recommend contacting a company called AGM to see if they service your area. Ask for Paul. Great operation over there, highly recommended.... Probably come in a little bit cheaper as well.

• doorproz
    10 years ago

I happen to agree with the other posters regarding Infinity by marvin. Infinity is certainly nothing special when it comes to Ufactor and in my opinion, Infinity has a very poor air leakage number which i think may be over .2 .
    I also happen to agree that starmark windows are worth taking a serious look at, they are well made and have excellent ratings. They should come in a tad cheaper than Infinity.

• dmatlosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. Can someone direct me to some information on the ratings of starmark?

What concerns me about starmark is that I never heard of them. They might have a lifetime warranty but if they go out of business in the next couple of years, the lifetime warranty is worthless.

All the info I can get the better.

Thanks,
    Team ldh

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Starmark is made by okna, who has been in business for 20 yrs. They are a growing, profitable company, in fact they are the process of expanding into a state of the art new facility. No worries about them going anywhere.
    Re the ratings, you'll see a total unit u factor of .24-.25 in double pane, .16-.17 in triple pane argon. Air infiltration ratings of .01-.05 depending on casement or double hung.
    World class performer, world class manufacturer.

• doorproz
    10 years ago

Agree, Starmark is indeed made by Okna who has been in business well over 20 years. I also heard they just purchased a new state of the art facility as well.
    That company is not going anywhere, they are as rock solid as rock solid can get.
    For what its worth, i highly doubt you will have to ever worry about using their warranty; they make one hell of a window.

This post was edited by doorproz on Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 10:05

• PRO
    Ellis Mayhew LLC
    10 years ago

We looked at both the Infinity and Integrity (Wood/Ultrex) Marvin products and decided on Okna 800s (in February of this). Couldn't be happier! We also used Paul at AGM and he was first class from beginning to end.

• dmatlosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does anyone have any pictures of installed starmarks?

Thanks again for all the info.

Teamldh

• PRO
    10 years ago

I have more but going 1 by 1 will be a bit long on the posting.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Here is another.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Last one.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Dam wow, that is a nice looking window from the pictures it really looks like wood little too perfect graining but that is to be expected from composites).

• dmatlosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! any pictures of white starmarks with grills? 4 over 1 or 6 over 1?

Do you know if starmark offers grills like the anderson bungalow craftsman like the transom in hte picture attached?

Here is a link that might be useful: anderson

• dmatlosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

attached

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

You can indeed get the grilles in that style on starmarks. They can pretty much customize any grid pattern that you would like.
    The Starmark in white looks strikingly similar to the okna 800 series. The stainable interior is the primary reason to go with the Starmark IMO, as the 800 offers basically the same performance for a little bit less $$$.

• dmatlosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any room that we touched/updated, we installed new construction Intergity's with SDLs, so we want to stick to something that is at the same level of look feel etc. Starmark are looking to fit the bill for the jreplacement windows we need.

We need a window that will match our 1900's house. need that old look.

This post was edited by TeamLDH on Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 14:02

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

We install alot if okna 800 series in older homes, it looks beautiful installed. Plenty of customers tell us not to even bring over a vinyl window but when we show them the okna 800 and their superior performance numbers, they fall in live with it.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Are your existing integritys wood interior or all ultrex? Stained or white? If all ultrex, the 800 has slimmer lines that will match better, and is 9 out of 10 people would say that the 800 series is nicer looking than the all ultrex integrity as well. If otoh you have the wood interiors, the only thing that will match really well would be the same window. That said, if they are not in the same room, it probably won't be noticeable.

• dmatlosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

we have wood interior (painted white) but the new windows will not be in the same room.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Either starmark or 800 would work. Personal preference at that point.
    Fwiw, i am not a fan of marvin integrity at all . I dont think its designed well, and it has poor performance numbers.
    The all ultrex integrity is rather cheap looking.

• PRO
    10 years ago

+1

They should be able to match/design the grids to fit nearly any configuration.

You definitely do not want the all Ultrex Integrity as compared to the Infinity when it comes to looks.

I would compare the performance data and measurables as well.

• dmatlosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I saw the 800s and Starmark first hand and they looks pretty nice. I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the windows from the outside of the house.

The outside case moulding looked like it was facing the wrong way (cove was facing away from window instead of towards) if you have plane square casing around the window. I thought it would be the other way around so the window looked like it was part of the exterior casing.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

The 800 and starmark have different bevels, some prefer the look of the starmark while others prefer the look if the 800. The starmark looks more traditional whereas the 800 has more detail.

• dmatlosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks mmarse1. Yeah, i just want to see them on a house with white trim. Hopefully someone here has an example.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

It sounds like you are referring to the screen track which does protrude a bit to the exterior. This will be a common feature for most all vinyl windows and any window that is designed primarily for replacement (3.25" jamb) installation.
    ... Btw, I did get your message but I can't respond because your email is blocked.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Looks nice from the outside, very traditional. Nice pics.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Did the OP post pics of his new starmarks?

• dmatlosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We had Okna come in but we weren't 100% on the look of them. So we moving back to marvin integrity, not infinity.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Integrity has a new window coming out. Ask your dealer about that prior to a decision on the windows.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Why not look at the Ultimate, its a much nicer looking window than the integrity which i think looks very cheap. Integrity also has a very high air leakage number.

• PRO
    10 years ago

+1

The Ultimate is the nicest window that Marvin makes to be certain.

I will see what the new data looks like and post that up when I get it.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

Which integrity are you looking at? If wood, you might want to think about how it will look 10 years down the road when it needs to be repainted. If the all ultrex, I can't say that I have ever heard anyone say that they prefer the look of that window, but I guess there is a first for everything. The Marvin ultimate and integrity will offer similar performance, that us to say that you will sacrifice in that area for the sake of name recognition. If it was being stained, I can see why you'd want wood, but if painted white, I don't get it.

• dmatlosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Painted white interior to us looks better as all the 100 year old molding is painted (we would have prefered the original chestnut but it was painted before you got the house). The vinyl welds to us don't look finished.

We are started to look at anderson woodwrights at this point due to integrity not offering a 1/2 screen.

The Marvin ultimates are very nice but the price is a bit high for us.

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

Does starmark offer grilles in the glass or only simulated divided lites?

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

You can also get grids between the glass with starmark.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Both.