Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainella_gw

One more window question

rainella
9 years ago

The contractor we decided to go with is using low expansion foam for the install. One thing he said has me a bit confused. He said when a window is ordered for replacement, they deduct a certain amount from both the height and width . He said that is important and must be done in order to ensure the window is installed square.
The norm was a quarter on the width and a half inch on the height.
He then said he takes off an additional amount from the width, i dont remeber if he said an extra eighth or an extra quarter, i forget. When i asked, he said sometimes if you only take a quarter inch off, its enough to make it square but sometimes difficult to apply foam and that extra he takes off on the width ensures he can use adequate amounts of that foam.
Does this makes sense? It sounds like he is paying attention to the install.
Also, its an interior install and we have what he calls " stops" and they are removed and reinstalled. If he takes off 3/8 or 1/2 from the width, will our stops still cover the gap?
Thank you

This post was edited by rainella on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 11:40

Comments (7)

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

1/4 inch on width and 3/8 to half on height is what I use on windows that are fairly square, how much more I deduct depend on the overall width, height and squareness of the opening.If the window has an accessory groove it can be exposed if the opening is out of square. This can be caulked in with white or beige windows or you may have to shim the stops, make new stops or fill in the groove with wood grain laminates.If the window is out of square the exterior stops may need material added as well which may be more noticeable if the exterior is not being wrapped or can be covered with aluminum stops to match the window. 1/2 on the width seems strong but every case is different.

• rainella
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Todminn, the install will be done from the inside. He is only taking off a little extra just to ensure he can properly foam around the window. He said 1/4 inch cam sometimes be tight to where its enough to square the window but not enough for foam.
    Will him taking off 3/8 or 1/2 rather than a 1/4, still allow for the old interior stop to be reinstalled?

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

Won't know until you do it or you verify the squareness of each opening.1/2" is getting pretty big but may be needed but usually not. It is not critical to get foam around window when there is no gap.

• rainella
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Todd, this was'nt mentioned but i see it on all kinds of installation video's. They talk about caulking inside part of the blind stop. What is the reason for that, if they are caulking the outside? What would putting caulk on the inside part of the blind stop?
    I know he caulks the inside stops.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

Not needed especially if foaming. Just another wag of doing things. Make sure they use a high performance caulking on exterior such as Quad by OSI

• rainella
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They do use quad, he made a big deal about saying he uses a polymer sealant called quad.
    Just curious, does caulking a blind stops interior just adad some more protection against air ?

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

Yes, just another layer of protection.