Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_nyefnyef

Entry Door Knobs - Schlage? Emtek?

Mrs_Nyefnyef
9 years ago

I have to replace my entry door knob. it is showing corrosion and looks awful. Three questions:

1. Is there any difference in quality between Schlage and Emtek? The entry door knob will have to stand up to midwestern winters.

2. Schlage offers the "antique brass" finish, which is the finish that is on my hinges. Emtek offers something called "french antique" which is their version of antique brass. Anyone know if there is any difference?

3. Are there other entry door knob brands I should be considering?

Comments (18)

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

Both are very good, but yes there is a difference. Schlage would be my brand of choice among "mainstream" offerings.
    Emtek is very high end in quality and design, and will be priced accordingly. If you are fine with a standard knob or lever, go with Schlage. If you are looking for something that will make a statement, or that needs to befit a very high end door, emtek would be the choice.
    The finish offerings are pretty similar.

• kats737
    9 years ago

I had an emtek entry set on my old house and I loved it. Their version of antique brass was beautiful. Heavy, nice lacquer. It was a joy to use. (Sorry to gush, I am a bit hardware obsessed!)

I have schlage in the current house, and it is fine, has performed reliably and been just a fine feature. So I agree, get whichever suits your taste and budget.

• User
    9 years ago

One difference is that there might be lock cylinders that won't fit in some door knobs or some door knob styles. I was told by my locksmith that the latest Medeco cylinders won't fit the Schlage knob I chose, but will fit the Emtek knob in the same style. The two brands for this particular style were priced maybe $25 apart so it wasn't a big issue to change to the Emtek knob. So check with your locksmith before you replace your front door knob.

• WindowDistributor
    9 years ago

I just installed entry door ProVia with Emtek locks and its good quality, good looking hardware.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I never even heard of Emtek, but I have a scalage entry system with the keypad - no key necessary, and I LOVE it.

(It does have a key bypass, though).

This is the one I have

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

Emtek have a nice variety of hardware options.

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

That schlage with keypad has been hit or miss for me. Had one for a few years that worked great, now I have one that intermittently does not work. Changed battery, checked wires, etc... Generally problem free for my clients though

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

There are some better ones out there to be certain.

I have a client that bought some really high end one via the web that loves it but I think it was easily about 2.5X the cost of the Schlage unit.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think I am going with the Emtek door knob. It's what my locksmith recommends. (thanks for the pics of the keypad door knob - it's just not my style, but it was interesting to see.)

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

Nice choice. The emtek units are very nice

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

+1

Very well built and look very nice on the doors.

Good choice.

Post up some before and after pictures when you are all done.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

I have had a lot of success with emtek mortised locks. Nice stuff.

• focalpointhardware
    9 years ago

Cant go wrong with an Emtek set. Great quality and design!

• millworkman
    9 years ago

focalpoint, post is a year old....

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Millworkman - my OP is only a month old. I am still checking in to this thread. Thanks Focalpoint for posting!

I've chosen my Emtek knob, but with the holidays, haven't had it installed yet. Now it's 3 degrees out so will wait until next week when the weather will be more normal.

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

I think MWM was being facetious... or at least he can say he was ;)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

My point was focalpointhardware would obviously be a hardware dealer. And while he was not specifically spamming the site at this moment I was kind of waiting and expecting the proverbial other shoe to drop. But perhaps I was mistaken.