Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composite vs Vinyl Windows. What are pros and cons?

Posted by rawdeal21 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 7, 11 at 10:59

What are the benefits of going with Vinyl windows over composite windows? Is there normally a big price difference and what's the relative energy efficiency, warranty, and maintenance?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composite vs Vinyl Windows. What are pros and cons?

The difference need to be compared on a more specific (i.e. window to window) basis.

Some composites are good, some are terrible. Same is to be said for vinyl.

Comparing cheap vinyl to good composite...winner is composite.

You get my point but each material has its pluses and minuses and how each is weighted largely depends on the customers requirements.

o

I'm going for very good quality. Now leaning towards vinyl and Simonton.

o

The vinyl windows that are usually regarded as upper echelon are Gorell, Okna, Simonton, Soft-Lite, and Sunrise.

There are other good windows out there and offerings can be somewhat regional. Are you in the Eastern or Western half of the US?

o

Northeast. Leaning towards Simonton because of the quality but also because I can compare HD against local dealers. Also, i think it's a lower price point than soft-lite, and the other higher end options. I don't want to pay more than the Simonton price (regardless of the incremental quality/efficiency provided by the other models)

o

You would be well served to just get a Gorell, Okna, Soft-Lite or Sunrise quote. You might be surprised where they come in at and get a better deal in the end.

o

Agree, Okna, gorell,sunrise, or soft lite would all be better choices. Quite honestly, I don't know how simonton found it's name on the list of higher quality windows. It's mid grade. As long as it's at least the 5500. .

o

I'm not looking for the top of the line vinyl windows since they would not fit my price point (< $700 per window including installation, grids, etc). My strong preference is to pay $500 on avg but that seems more difficult to get with windows of mid+ quality. I haven't priced out the gorells, softlites, sunrises out there but if I do and they can't hit my price point, their quality benefits over Simonton would make no difference to me.

o

You would be well served to just get a quote on some of those other windows and see what is out there.

Can't hurt.

o

I would definitely agree with WoW's advice... The product cost of a Simonton and the other premium brands mentioned is going to be close, and will vary depending on dealer. If you can find Simonton at that price point, the odds are very good that you'll find one or more of the others as well... Maybe even cheaper ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here