Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seydoux

anderson doors

seydoux
9 years ago

my contractor installed an anderson frenchwood french door. It is very cold near the door and I used a digital thermometer and the glass is the same temperature as the 200 year old single pane door. Is this normal? I thought that the double pane would be more insulating. if it is not what recourse do I have. The door was very expensive.

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Where did you measure the temp? If you measured it near the edge of the frame, that is completely normal.

Do the old single pane windows have storm?

Where is the location of any HVAC registers relative to the openings in question?

• seydoux
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i measured several panes they all seemed to be the same temp.and the glass i measured against had the storm window open lol. It is freezing near the door and i have never had this experience with double paned doors before. How much difference should there be between the door and the outside temperature? The baseboard radiator is about 3 feet away and is comfortably warm. This results in one side being warm and the other freezing.

• seydoux
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i measured several panes they all seemed to be the same temp.and the glass i measured against had the storm window open lol. It is freezing near the door and i have never had this experience with double paned doors before. How much difference should there be between the door and the outside temperature? The baseboard radiator is about 3 feet away and is comfortably warm. This results in one side being warm and the other freezing.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

This is a cut and paste from some previous postings of my buddy Oberon.

Some real numbers:
    When it is 0ðF outside and 70ðF inside and you have very little wind, the interior surface temperature of a single pane of glass is going to be right about 16ðF; which is definitely going to contribute to those convection currents.

Add the second lite, be it storm or dual pane and you increase the interior glass surface temperature to 44ðF. That is a very significant improvement. And once again, that is not simulation, it is real measurement data.

Add the LowE coating in a dual pane and the temperature of the glass surface increases to the low - mid 50âÂÂs F (53ðF) depending on the coating and the glass surface that has the coating.