Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rchicago

X-Post: MidCentury Exterior Doors Options/Pricing

RChicago
9 years ago

Hi,

Folks on another board suggested I post here . . .

I have a late 60's home with what appear to be two original solid wood painted doors (pic below). I also have two sidelights and storm doors. I live in Chicago and there is a substantial overhang such that the doors don't see much moisture.

I was planning to replace the hardware and storm doors and repaint the exterior doors.

My designers are encouraging me to go with new instead, so that it will look nicer and because even if the doors + storm doors provide decent insulation, the windows aren't any good.

I looked into replacing with new sidelites and flat slab wood doors, but was told that they can't warranty flat slab wood doors. If I want simple doors, I was told to look at fiberglass.

They're suggesting one of the following two options, which includes two 36"x80" doors plus two 16'x80" sidelights -- but not tax, delivery or installation:

1) Therma Tru #S100 flush fiberglass for $1546, or
2) Simpson Contemporary door #7404 fir unfinished for $2510.

In either case, we'd forego the storm doors and would plan to paint the new doors.

Any thoughts about Therma Tru vs. Simpson? Or fiberglass vs. Simpson's contemporary "wood" line? Are these all decent doors? Anything I should ask as a follow up, options I should consider? Here's more info on the Simpson line: http://www.simpsondoor.com/literature/pdfs/Contemporary_Exterior_Doors.pdf.

Many thanks!

Comments (32)

• Karateguy
    9 years ago

no idea how you are getting a price of $1500 for a double door with two sidelites. My wholesale cost on that for even a basic model would probably be more than twice that.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Good point a flush steel double door with 2 sidelites would be more than that out the door?

• RChicago
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I heard back from the supplier, and those prices are accurate. Two double doors plus two sidelites. I need to add tax, door knobs, painting and installation to the cost.

Are these doors too cheap? I really don't want garbage -- I was simple, but great quality doors that will last 20+ years. I don't want to be replacing these doors sooner than that.

What questions should I be asking? Anything to ask about the sidelites, which are described as "direct set clr. ins. glass"?

I'm hoping that Therma Tru and Simpson are big companies that folks will be able to tell me whether I should keep shopping.

Thanks, and happy new year.

• User
    9 years ago

I need to add tax, door knobs, painting and installation to the cost.

Those additions, particularly installation, will make a big difference in your total cost that you quoted above. Or are you doing the installation DIY?

I am not one of the experts on this forum, I am just a homeowner who is also in the Chicago area who can let you know my experience. I am replacing my front entry door and the two sidelites too. Though my door costs should be less than yours because I am getting a steel entry door and it is a single door not double. The door is supposed to arrive in a few weeks, so I hope it looks good and the installation goes well.

Anyway, I was told to stay away from ThermaTru! I don't have any info on your other company Simpson. I am going with Home Guard, which is an Indiana company so is somewhat local which I like. My all-in cost--except for the door knob and deadbolt which I am having my locksmith install separately--is more than double what you are quoting for ThermaTru. I am getting the factory to do a custom paint color on the door and the frame for it and the sidelites which was an upcharge.

You mentioned you would order the doors unpainted, and do the painting. Don't do that! You should have the factory do the painting; it is much better and much more durable than painting it by hand after installation. If the paint is one of the manufacturer's standard colors, it won't be an upcharge. If it is a custom paint color, it is so worth it to have the factory do it.

So, you need to include installation and any custom options in order to figure out your true cost. Or, let us know if you haven't included installation because it's DIY.

This post was edited by Sahmmy on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 12:28

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Therma Tru is meh, just ok in my opinion and more importantly with Simpson is who is hanging it, as Simpson does not make the frames or hang the doors. This is the same advice I posted on the Building a Home forum. Also a direct sidelite means the glass is set directly into the frame so no really sidelite frame which again would be on whomever assembles the door as TT does not assemble the door frames and hang the door. These tasks are all left to the distributor whom you have yet to identify. I have seen good distributors and terrible one so that is very important imho.

• RChicago
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The doors and sidelites would be purchased through Lee Lumber in Chicago. My GC would do the installation and trim work. He's been working on our house for several months and we've been pleased with his work. He's done many doors over the decades, but it's certainly not his specialty.

So do we not want these kinds of sidelites? Is there a better product we should be requesting instead?

And if Therma Tru is just meh, should we go with Simpson or keep shopping?

Maybe I should step back -- If you were going to do two simple, flat slab doors with sidelines in Chicago's climate, and wanted to paint the doors, what would you go with?

Thanks!

• User
    9 years ago

Evidently you didn't hear me about having the factory paint the doors. No hand-painted finish will ever be as durable as factory finish. OK, I've given the advice (shrug).

• RChicago
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Apologies, Sahmmy -- I'm sharing what my designers are suggesting. Because I'm unsure it's the right way -- that's why I'm here. They were going to have their painters paint the door and trim. I will go back and ask about factory painted doors -- but I'd like to have my questions ready and not instead call/email a dozen times.

I'm here because I'd like to be pointed in the right direction. I want quality doors to last decades. And I don't have confidence that the products being recommended are the best options.

What questions should I be asking, what should I be buying?

Thank you again for your time.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Nothing wrong with direct set sidelites, they are just completely glass top to bottom,, i will see if i can find images later of both. As far your contractor yes he is installing them but I mean assembling the prehung units are that is done by a millwork supply house and in the case of the Simpson door just as if not more important than the installation. TT nor Simpson "hang" the door they ship door slabs or blanks to a millwork supply house who then assembles them. TT makes a door frame not all millwork supply houses buy the frames from TT, some will buy them from whichever mill is cheaper at the moment. Simpson does not make door frames (from what i recall) they sell to a millwork supply house who buys frames from whatever mill is cheapest at the moment. Whom the frames are purchased from, what accessories (hinges, weatherstrip, etc) are used is dependent on the millwork supply house. I have never heard of Lee Lumber as I am not familiar with Chicage but they purchase TT and Simpson products from a millwork supply house who builds the "prehung" units and thats what I meant by I have seen good and I have seen ok.

• RChicago
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much millworkman, I see what you're saying. With Simpson, there's no guarantee of quality.

Can you recommend a brand that would provide good quality doors, hinges, frames, etc?

• RChicago
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much millworkman, I see what you're saying. With Simpson, there's no guarantee of quality.

Can you recommend a brand that would provide good quality doors, hinges, frames, etc?

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

All excellent advice above. Look into Homeguard and Provia, both available in Chicago. Big+1 on a factory finish as well. Most of these doors will come with a VERY durable finish from the factory that even high quality painting cannot come close to for durability

• RChicago
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, HomeSealed. I'll look into Homeguard and Provia. Lee Lumber doesn't carry either of those. LL is who my designers and GC prefer, but I won't hesitate to go elsewhere for quality.

Are any of these brands quality for exterior doors in a cold climate? This is what Lee Lumber carries. Thanks!

Wood--Exterior
    • Jeld-Wen Doors, IWP Collection®
    • Sun-Dor®
    • Tru-Stile®
    • Heritage®
    • Simpson®
    • Signature®

Steel
    • Benchmark®
    • NextDoor®

Fiberglass
    • Therma-Tru®

Hollow Metal
    • Ceco®
    • Amweld®

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Problem, is every door on your list or available thru just about any lumber company and is commercially available is bought and sold the exact same way. And truthfully from your list the two your looking at will be the only ones I would even consider.

• User
    9 years ago

I am not sure that Provia or Home Guard offers fiberglass entry doors in the flat slab design that the OP wants. Aren't the doors they offer usually with some panel design? I could be wrong, but it's a question that the OP would need answered. To the OP - I have found the Home Guard customer service number to be helpful, rather than email. They are very nice over the phone.

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

Both of those manufacturers offer a flush slab with no panels or glass.
    I'd agree with mwm. Thermatru can be okay,but the third party finishing can be very hit or miss in my experience.

• RChicago
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll investigate Provia and Homegiard this week. Thanks. Is fiberglass a good option in Chicago? Or something else? What kind of sidelines should I be asking for?

Bottom line, though - if this ends up priced out at $8k once installation is included, I'll likely be hanging on to the exiting doors for awhile.

As always, very appreciated.

• RChicago
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Checked out Provia and Homeguard's websites.

I'd been hoping to paint my exterior doors and trim one color on the outside and another color inside. Outside a fun color like orange and inside Ben Moore gray owl to match the walls. Inside, immediately opposite the front doors will be a wall of quartersawn walnut veneer which will house the hall closet. So, I really shouldn't add an additional wood to the foyer. The gray owl seems like the way to go because I don't want the interior of the front doors to stand out.

If I want to paint two different (and not standard) colors, am I back to having them painted by my painters -- knowing of course that this isn't the most durable solution.

Thank you again for any help with this and the post immediately preceding. I'm really new to all of this, so any help is greatly appreciated.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

In all honesty the majority of people have their doors painted by a painter and not prefinished by the factory so I do not think it will be an issue. Just make certain they prep properly and use a high quality paint.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

Two-tone int and ext paint color is no problem from the factory.

Being primarily in the replacement market, actually see just the opposite of MWM, where most folks do opt for the factory finish.... Just goes to show how things can vary from one "section" to another within the same industry.

• User
    9 years ago

I am getting my Home Guard entry door painted at the factory in a custom color on the outside, and one of their standard cream colors on the inside. The custom side was an upcharge. But it was totally do-able.

I agree with Homesealed's comment - my contractor said most everyone opts for factory paint. Perhaps it is regional, since Homesealed and I are in the Illinois-Wisconsin area.

This post was edited by Sahmmy on Tue, Jan 6, 15 at 10:49

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Wisconsin area....?

Don't make me get in my Cowboys outfit.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Good thing I had finished my lunch, YIKES!!!

• User
    9 years ago

I made the assumption Wisconsin cause HomeSealed ends his name with a "WI". Sorry if that was incorrect.

Bears were so terribly sad this year I cannot laugh at anything football- related. Even that pic.

• PRO
    9 years ago

HomeSealed is a Packer...that can mean many things depending on who you ask.

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

the _WI for Wisconsin is correct....
    I'd love to get in a couple zings about the bears, but my brother in law is a fan so I'm able to get my fair share in with him :)
    ... although put that guy in blue and orange and he sure looks like one of "da superfans"! I'm sure ol' Bob Swerski is rooting for the 'boys this weekend.

• RChicago
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I'm back, and refocused. Thanks so much for all the advice (and the football tangent. I'm married to a Steelers fan, so Sunday wasn't a happy day -- record-setting blizzard AND Brady getting another ring).

Anyway, I did the rough math and decided that by the time I pay my GC to install and painter to paint my doors, they won't be much cheaper than going with a much better product. Plus, my GC doesn't do exterior doors everyday and I know there's a real benefit to having the experts handle install.

I've talked to a few local folks and been advised that HomeGuard is a bit of a better value than Provia -- less expensive and still quite good.

I've been quoted $4400 to install factory-painted HomeGuard doors - two 36"x80" flush steel doors plus two 16'x80" sidelites with low E and argon glass.

Is this a decent price? And a good way to go?

Thanks again.

• PRO
    9 years ago

That is more than a decent price. That is a smoking deal.

Make sure they are installing sill pans and all the proper flashing details and that door should last forever in there.

• RChicago
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I've asked if it includes the sill pans and proper flashing. Thanks for that advice.

Now I just need to pick an exterior door color. I'm tempted to do something fun, maybe orange?

• User
    9 years ago

RChicago - that is a really great price. Does that include door knobs and lock?

Re the paint color - I was told if I want a custom paint color (i.e. not a color that Home Guard offers), it needs to be a Sherwin Williams color. Since Sherwin Williams has a thousand colors that is not a bad thing. But I wanted to give you a heads up in case you didn't know that.

• RChicago
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Sahmmy. No, this doesn't include the knobs and lock. I'm likely going with Emtek.

Thanks for the info on the paints. I will have to investigate.

• User
    9 years ago

I chose Emtek too.

Just a little OT - My contractor has had my Home Guard steel entry door and sidelites ready to go, but we've been stalled by 20" of snow and daytime temps in low 20's. With all that snow, only a narrow pathway was shoveled to the door. So installation of the new door and sidelites not possible. It's supposed to get warmer this weekend, and a lot of that stuff will melt, but then it will leave a soggy mess, and I am sure some of the snow will remain. It's supposed to get cold again next week. Can anyone advise at what point the snow is melted enough to install my door even if some inches remain? Or do we wait until April?