Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jubyruby

Simonton 5500, 6500 vs. Alside Sheffield

jubyruby
11 years ago

We are looking at new replacement windows -- about 30 of them . Our home is in an upscale area and these new windows will be replacing rotting 40 year old wood ones. I am working with two window contractors and Home Depot.
1) Simonton 5500 through a window contractor - 10 year install warranty and 50 years on window
2) Home Depot 6500 - double lifetime warranty on install and windows/screen/breakage
3) Alside Sheffield through window contractor - lifetime on install and windows
The pricing is similar within a thousand dollars. Any insight into which I should choose? Thank you very much!

Comments (24)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Stay away from Alside and HD is about the best advice I can give, period!!! Simonton is a solid window, if the window contractor is reputable and you have verified his work through references go with him but in my honest I would not buy anything resembling millwork from HD or any box store for that matter.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

+1

Have you entertained quotes from a window company? You may find that they have both a better product and at a better price.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

I would look into higher end brands such as Okna. -HiMark, Soft lite, Gorell, Home guard innovation .

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

I would also add Sunrise to that list.

• HU-948177392
    last year

How does simonton compare to anderson 100

• millworkman
    last year

Simonton is all vinyl and the 100 series if Fibrex (composite fibers and wood pulp). What series Simonton? 100's are Andersen's entry level product.

• William Rossman
    last year
    last modified: last year

Simonton is a very bulky and outdated window.

The alside sheffield as well as the andersen 100 are junk in my opinion.

• HU-948177392
    last year

Indianapolis

• millworkman
    last year

"Indianapolis"

Huh?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    last year

@millworkman maybe they are talking about the USS Indianapolis. You ever read the story about that!! Wow. What a tale of misery and courage. 1195 men went in the water, only 316 came out. Besides the several hundred that drowned with the sinking of the boat, can you imagine the horror to watch your buddies be eaten alive in front of you? Goodness gracious.

• millworkman
    last year

• HU-948177392
    last year

Yes. we have a memorial in Indianapolis one of the survivors last name is Harrell same as mine

• HU-948177392
    last year

Ever since i saw the movie jaws i stay out of the ocean 😅

• HU-948177392
    last year

Your thoughts on Windsor and Amsco windows?

• HU-948177392
    last year

Any recommendations for quality windows and installers for indianapolis

• millworkman
    last year

"Your thoughts on Windsor and Amsco windows?"

Non starters for any conversation I would have.

• HU-948177392
    last year

Well then what windows would you recommend

• millworkman
    last year
    last modified: last year

Marvin Elevate, Essentials, or Signature. Kolbe, Loewen, Softlite, Sunrise Okna, Vytex, LePage. What type and material are you looking for in a window? New construction or replacement? If replacement full framed I assume?

• HU-948177392
    last year

ReplaceReplacement vinvinyl windows double pane low e argon gas ive got quotes from Andersen Apex, simonton Alside 8000 , i have quotes coming from Windsor and Amsco i recognize a couple of your recos so i will get quotes from them

• millworkman
    last year

Andersen is ok, series dependent. Simonton is solid just bulky and a but outdated. The others I would not go across the street for. Good on looking at some of the brands I mentioned, some can be a bit regional.

• HU-948177392
    last year

What about the Anderson 100:series Slider?

• millworkman
    last year

Builder basic entry line product. Decent quality and performance numbers. Better than most builder entry line products.

• HU-948177392
    last year

Thank you

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida