Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opening shutters without moving furniture?

Posted by kaciii (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 8:13

I'm interested in getting Plantation shutters. Two of the windows are right beside my couch and end tables. Don't know that much about the shutters, but I do like to open windows daily. Would I have to move my couch and end tables every time I want to open sutters and windows???

Sorry about my lack of knowledge on this subject. I am looking at inside mount sutters.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opening shutters without moving furniture?

My MIL had shutters that opened inside the window box, but she had pretty deep boxes, definitely deeper than the width of one panel of shutters. Perhaps you could measure your boxes and the distance (if any) between the window and the furniture, and then go try out some shutters in a showroom?

o

Our old house in NC had lovely plantation shutters in the front room. Beautiful. Light-filled. Very irritating because we could only open the one that was not in front of furniture. Five were behind the couches, plus one on the corner was still blocked by the couch. I had to make do with just the louvers. We were on the south face, so it was tolerable, but a north face or a more northerly location, and I would have hate them.

Look into having a split put in halfway up so that you can open the top halves wide open and have the bottom halves blocked by furniture. A friend had this done in his dining room when his were installed and it was a terrific idea.

o

I'm sure by this time you have resolve your issue with ordering plantation shutters. However, I will still answer for other viewers.

You said the furniture is right beside the windows. You can order shutters hinged so all the panels in the opening open to one side. Also, it may be wise to use a greater number of narrow panels which will reduce the space needed in front of the window to open the shutters.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horizon Plantation Shutters

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here