Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pam29011

Harvey Wood Windows vs. Marvin - what to compare?

pam29011
12 years ago

I went to a local Harvey Windows & Doors showroom & I liked the Majesty windows. They are wood with aluminum cladding on the exterior. They're only available in pine (for DH, casements can come in oak but not DH).

We're going to be adding 3 new windows to the second floor when we add a dormer. And we'll be replacing 5 more windows (with new construction units b/c 3 of the 5 have to move & the other 2 I want to move).

We're looking at SDL with grilles inside & outside, painting the inside wood. 6 over 1, with screen on the bottom half only (b/c I don't want to cover the top grilles with a screen, I want to see them clearly).

The salesman was keen on the virtues of their vinyl window but the welded mitered seam just didn't look good to me. These are tilt-n-wash windows as well. He says the glass has a lifetime warranty against breakage & the rest of the window has a 20 year warranty (only covers parts, not labor).

Any experience? Or, is there something I can ask that will start to identify weaknesses in this window? I gather that Marvin is a GREAT wood window, I'm trying to see how these compare.

Thanks in advance!

-Pam

Comments (4)