Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvey Wood Windows vs. Marvin - what to compare?

Posted by pam29011 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 7:21

I went to a local Harvey Windows & Doors showroom & I liked the Majesty windows. They are wood with aluminum cladding on the exterior. They're only available in pine (for DH, casements can come in oak but not DH).

We're going to be adding 3 new windows to the second floor when we add a dormer. And we'll be replacing 5 more windows (with new construction units b/c 3 of the 5 have to move & the other 2 I want to move).

We're looking at SDL with grilles inside & outside, painting the inside wood. 6 over 1, with screen on the bottom half only (b/c I don't want to cover the top grilles with a screen, I want to see them clearly).

The salesman was keen on the virtues of their vinyl window but the welded mitered seam just didn't look good to me. These are tilt-n-wash windows as well. He says the glass has a lifetime warranty against breakage & the rest of the window has a 20 year warranty (only covers parts, not labor).

Any experience? Or, is there something I can ask that will start to identify weaknesses in this window? I gather that Marvin is a GREAT wood window, I'm trying to see how these compare.

Thanks in advance!
-Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvey Wood Windows vs. Marvin - what to compare?

From what I know of Harvey, there windows are mediocre with average air and water infiltration vales and performance. I truly believe that there is absolutely no comparison between a Marvin unit and any line from Harvey.

o

Millworkman probably knows the wood window offerings as good, if not better, than anyone.

Marvin is well regarded, usually for good reason, as one of the top wood windows made today.

Harvey, as a company, is what I would consider better than average and better than mediocre to quote millworkman.

With that said, I cannot comment personally on their wood window.

Good window window evaluation criteria (just some) would be:

-cladding type? If aluminum, roll formed or extruded? What gauge?
-what type of base wood is used?
-any finger joints in the sill or structural wood?
-warranty?

o

Thank you, Millworkman and WindowsonWashington. For some reason I can't get GW to send me a link to reset my password on my old user name, so I created a new account. It's me, though, and I appreciate the advice. I think we're going to have the Marvins priced as well as the Harvey Windows. This is Harvey's top-of-the-line window so the actual price difference could be negligible. I'd rather go with Marvin if the cost is similar.

o

I looked at Harvey after having sticker shock on the price of the Marvins. They were much less but the construction looked a lot cheaper. I ended up going with Andersen which was somewhere in the middle in price.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here