Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ar3045

West facing entry door: ThermaTru vs PlastPro

ar3045
10 years ago

All,
I have been a lurker for years now. We are in the middle of a full remodel and addition currently and could use some help now.

Need to purchase the entry door for our house now. I need a regular door with two sidelights, 6'8" tall.

I did some reading here and elsewhere and decided to go with ThermaTru (cannot afford a Provia). I started calling vendors and asking for quotes and one of my trusted window stores recommended PlastPro. They are telling me that PlastPro is completely fiberglass where as ThermaTru has some wood components (jambs and stuff) so more susceptible to rot and termites.

The house we are remodeling does have subterranean termites and we will be treating them before moving in. This is a west facing door and will get significant sunlight. That is the major reason behind our decision to go for a fiber glass door.

I cannot determine if ThermaTru doors have wood in them and how bad that would be. I need to order the door this week and could use all the help I could get.

Thanks in advance,

This post was edited by ar3045 on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 3:42

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

If you are counting on the door not having any wood in it and that being the barrier to the termites, we are in trouble regardless.

The ThermaTru door is okay.

Do you have HomeGuard where you are? They have one of the nicest fiberglass doors out there that I have ever seen.

The potential for termites needs to be handled via flashing and weatherization details at the sill.

Be sure to have a continuous and inorganic sill pan detail in the installation.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Good advice above, although I'd add that with their Timberframe option, Homeguard does offer a fully rot-proof door with no wood at all.
    Plastpro makes a nice slab that is used by some other manufacturers, I can't comment however on the quality of their assembly and finishing of a full unit (including frame, staining, etc).
    Thermatru's Classic Craft is solid. I believe that all of their products do have some wood in them however.
    That said, I agree with WOW regarding termite control. The entire frame of your home is wood (most likely), so a little bit of wood in the door is not the biggest worry.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

I have had nothing but problems with Thermatru doors. Poor quality control in my experience.

• ar3045
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW, HomeSealed,
    Now that you mention it, yes we have tons of wood already. So, this does not make a huge difference. I will talk to the contractor about weatherization and stuff.

Homeguard does not seem to have much presence here, according to google at least. I am in the SF Bay Area. I thought everyone has a presence here. Guess I was wrong.

Karateguy,
    Are you still using the Thermatru door? Did you replace it with something else?
    Would love to know more about this.

Thanks

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Agree, i also do NOT like thermaTru. Provia, hmi , and homeguard make the best doors.