Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodi_socal

Minimizing the 'white' of vinyl windows

Jodi_SoCal
16 years ago

We are replacing a sliding glass patio door and a picture window with vinyl products. I've chosen the manufacturer (WinDor) and styles; sliding French doors with stationary windows on each side of the slider - and picture window with three sections. We are going with vinyl because the price fits better into our budget.

Both the door and window are in the dining/kitchen area that will be primarily dark woods, granite and cabinets when our remodel is complete. White vinyl will stick out like a sore thumb.

I need ideas on how to minimize that white look since painting the vinyl is not an option.

Thanks! Jodi-

Comments (7)

• Michael
    16 years ago

Order the vinyl product in a dark woodgrain.

Michael

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

White is the only option offered in the style and price range we have chosen.

Jodi-

• phillyvictorian
    16 years ago

I've heard about people successfully painting vinyl... start with a good primer like Glidden Gripper.

• galefarm
    16 years ago

Vinyl can be painted but needs to follow a very strict guideline of Light Reflectivity Value of the paint and how it is applied. I have had Painters refer me to Sherwin Williams who was very helpful in finding paints for a customers projects.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am not a DIYer. After hearing and reading about the cons and prep steps of painting vinyl I am convinced it is not the road for me. Plus it often voids the manufacturers warrantee.

After a lot of research and visits to different manufacturers and dealers it looks like vinyl is the only option for us. I just wish they would come up with a way to offer a softer white or light tan. The bright arctic white just doesn't cut it for many people.

Jodi-

• texasredhead
    16 years ago

You evidently have limited yourself to one manufacturer of windows. There are dozens, many of which offer reasonably priced windows with woodtone interiors. You need to shop around some more. Do a Google on Great Lakes Windows.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

TexasRedhead, not sure how you came up with that idea. As stated above, we have researched (gotten quotes from) several dealers and manufacturers in our area (WinDor, Simonton, Jeld Wen, Andersen, Renaissance, CA Doors & Windows, Milgard, Certainteed, Thermas-Tru, Pella, Thermal Industries and others I can't recall right now).

When I Google Great Lakes Windows for our zip code, all I get is an 800 number to call, I prefer to check out a showroom to see the quality of the product.

Many of the manuf we've checked don't offer sliding patio doors for an 8 ftt opening. Both of or sliders are 8 ft. Some don't offer the style we want with a true v-groove or paintable surface or color we want on the inside with white on the outside (required by our association's CC&Rs). Many we just cant afford ($18,500 for two sliders and a picture window).

We will continue to investigate as we have two appts with week for estimates but have to make a decision next week because of our construction schedule.

Jodi-

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH