Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sliding Door-spontaneous breakage

Posted by DebV2727 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 1:23

I was in the house I was renting at the time and I heard what sounded like rain. As I got closer to the sliding glass door, I realized the whole thing was shattering. It stayed in tact for weeks after that. The landlord didn't fix it until we moved out and now is trying to charge me for the repair. Any experts out there that can swear that these things happen by themselves? I don't think I should have to pay for it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sliding Door-spontaneous breakage

Could have been caused by thermal shock. Google it.

o

I don't think you will find any "experts" who will swear to a reason for glass breaking for any reason (other than an obvious projectile or the like).

o

"I don't think you will find any "experts" who will swear to a reason for glass breaking for any reason (other than an obvious projectile or the like)."

After the fact, no.

But implosion of double glass units has been a problem for a while.

The seals could not contain the single gas fill well enough, it escaped, and air (mostly nitrogen and oxygen) could not enter to fill the space.

The elastic limit of the glass was exceeded and it shatters.

It often sounds like a large thump, followed by the merry sound of falling glass crumbs.

o

DebV2727, I am no expert - just a regular homeowner - but can tell you that I had the same experience. Two months after I moved in to a brand new house, the sliding glass door shattered, just as you described. And, as brickeyee mentioned - I did hear a loud thump followed by the twinkling sound of the glass shattering in to a thousand tiny pieces. I really hope that you don't have to pay to get the glass repaired. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here