Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debv2727

Sliding Door-spontaneous breakage

DebV2727
12 years ago

I was in the house I was renting at the time and I heard what sounded like rain. As I got closer to the sliding glass door, I realized the whole thing was shattering. It stayed in tact for weeks after that. The landlord didn't fix it until we moved out and now is trying to charge me for the repair. Any experts out there that can swear that these things happen by themselves? I don't think I should have to pay for it.

Comments (4)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Could have been caused by thermal shock. Google it.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

I don't think you will find any "experts" who will swear to a reason for glass breaking for any reason (other than an obvious projectile or the like).

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"I don't think you will find any "experts" who will swear to a reason for glass breaking for any reason (other than an obvious projectile or the like)."

After the fact, no.

But implosion of double glass units has been a problem for a while.

The seals could not contain the single gas fill well enough, it escaped, and air (mostly nitrogen and oxygen) could not enter to fill the space.

The elastic limit of the glass was exceeded and it shatters.

It often sounds like a large thump, followed by the merry sound of falling glass crumbs.

• nva_birdcrazy
    12 years ago

DebV2727, I am no expert - just a regular homeowner - but can tell you that I had the same experience. Two months after I moved in to a brand new house, the sliding glass door shattered, just as you described. And, as brickeyee mentioned - I did hear a loud thump followed by the twinkling sound of the glass shattering in to a thousand tiny pieces. I really hope that you don't have to pay to get the glass repaired. Good luck!