Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
broken_arrow

Laminated windows - will STC of 32 be enough in our scenario?

broken_arrow
9 years ago

Hi everyone!

We're in the process of finalizing details for the new house that we'll be building in the spring. We chose our lot because we'll have a nice view from the back of the house where our main living areas are. However, our house backs up to a two-lane secondary road. It isn't super busy, but it does provide access to a number of developments at the edge of the city. The traffic isn't constant, but it's still louder than we'd like despite the 6-foot privacy fence. I'd say the average speed is 35-45 mph.

The traffic noise is a pretty big drawback, but we've decided that the view is worth it. With that said, we still want to do what we can to reduce the traffic noise. We're planning to get laminated windows, and the manufacturer says the STC rating is 32.

I've posted a diagram showing our lot and the main road behind us. Assuming an STC rating of 32, I'd really like some opinions about how much this will help with the traffic noise. I know I can't expect complete silence inside the house, but it would be nice if we don't have to worry about hearing the sound of cars passing over the sound of the TV!

Do you think an STC of 32 will be enough in this scenario? If not, I'd appreciate suggestions on how to reduce sound in an effective, economical way. Thanks in advance!

{{gwi:2138126}}

Comments (13)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

An STC value of 32 does not seem very good at all to me. What brand window? I assume this is an insulated glass window and that the laminated portion would be one of the lites, correct? What is the glass makeup? If they are not a really tight well performing window, glass type will not really help that much? What about the insulation of the house? How is the GC sealing everything? Much more needs to be thought of that just the windows.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    9 years ago

You should be able to achieve an STC of 32 with dissimilar thicknesses (3/16" over 1/8") of glass without paying the extra for laminated. Laminated would only bump it up to a 33 for five times the cost.
    As for whether you accomplish what you want with a 32. Hard to tell without 1) either hiring or bringing into play a sound engineer or some other testing or 2) going into a home that has already been constructed using the glass combination that they are talking to you about. I have done projects with the above 32 and clients have been very happy with it.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

32 isn't too shabby at all but that close to the road, more is more.

Ask about whatever glass package they can put together to get it into the 35 ranges.

• oberon476
    9 years ago

6.0mm (1/4") laminated glass (1/8" glass / .030" PVB / 1/8" glass) has an STC of 35.

An IG (glass only) with an 1/8" outer lite / 1/4" airspace / 1/4 lami also has an STC of 35, but if you increase the airspace to 1/2" then the STC jumps up to 38.

Unless the sash/frame are very leaky I can't imagine how the window company managed an STC 32 using a laminated lite.

In the same conditions the OITC would be 31...

• broken_arrow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the replies!

Our builder uses Windsor Windows Next Dimension Classic vinyl. This is the reply that the window guy at the local lumberyard sent me when I asked for the STC:

"Windsor Windows has tested the Next Dimension Classic series with laminated glass at an STC rating of 32."

I'm having trouble finding specific information on the individual glass thicknesses, but the specs say this about the standard windows (not laminated):
    "All units include 3/4" double pane LoE 366 insulated glass as standard."

We've been considering dissimilar glass as a cheaper alternative, but I'm told by the rep that the Windsor IG units are made by Cardinal, which does not offer dissimilar glass as an option.

We had JELD-WEN windows in our previous house, and although they seem to get pretty bad reviews online, we didn't have any big problems with them. It seems that JELD-WEN offers dissimilar glass with an STC of 32, so perhaps that's an option. Any thoughts on this? Alternative brands?

Back to the laminated glass...

I'd appreciate any suggestions on economical vinyl windows (one step up from builder's grade) that can achieve an STC of 35 with laminated glass. If we decide to fork out the extra cash for laminated, we want to get the best STC possible for a typical assembly.

Thank you!!

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Hold on to your hat because Windsor vinyl just may be worse than Jeldwen,......

• broken_arrow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's not good news at all! Is there something specific that makes the Windsor windows bad?

Can I safely assume that there are no "budget" windows that are of decent quality?

• PRO
    9 years ago

Probably a safe bet on that.

Don't blow out the budget but a few extra bucks on windows will pay dividends in the long run.

• researchgal1
    9 years ago

Broken Arrow - Here is a very helpful and informational article on sound reduction. There are a lot of factors besides the windows
    http://www.houselogic.com/home-advice/windows-doors/soundproof-windows/#.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Logic - Soundproof Windows

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

Personally, i think a 32 - 35 stc would suffice.

• EFHouseman
    9 years ago

32 is not a very high STC rating at all. As others have mentioned, 32 is pretty much standard for most double-pane windows.

I checked Windsor's website and it does not list STC ratings for any of their windows. That's not a good sign.

• broken_arrow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone! As I posted in a related thread, it looks like we can go from the builder's window option with an STC of 26-28 to a window with dissimilar glass with an STC of 34. I'm hoping that would be a big enough jump to make it worthwhile. I'm guessing it will be sufficient in the main part of the house, but we may need to consider the addition of a storm window in the bedroom if the traffic noise is still too loud at night. We have a pretty limited budget, so we're looking for the most cost-effective solution.

Fortunately, our home will be all-brick with upgraded insulation, so the walls shouldn't be a major source of noise infiltration.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Going from a 26 to a 34 should provide considerable noise reduction by comparison.

STC comparisons are not linear so the higher the number delta, the greater the impact.