Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window no longer close

Posted by carrolljd (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 0:06

I have some kind of replacement windows that are around 15 years old. I have no idea if they are vinyl or wood. They don't feel like vinyl, but who knows? Anyway, the window frame seems fine, but the windows no longer close. The bottom and top half are about 1/4 inch off now. I have no idea who to call or where to start. Can someone point me in the right direction?

THanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window no longer close

Call a handyman or small contractor who specializes in windows

o

Thank you millworkman for your advice. The handyman couldn't begin to help me. The window repairman said that either his company could supply me with replacement windows or he could do it off the books buying what I needed at Home Depot. I own a small business myself and if I knew that one of my employees was soliciting my customers I would fire them in a heartbeat.

In the meantime, he did get the first floor windows locked, which was my biggest problem, buying me some time to figure out what to do. Windows are definitely vinyl, probably were installed 15-20 years ago and are warped from the sun. Only the west and south facing windows are affected.

So I still don't know what to do. Window repair companies are few and far between. I'm in Montgomery County, Maryland. Any advice would be appreciated.

o

You likely have warped frames and/or sashes or both. Don't waste your money or time getting them "repaired" they aren't worth it. There are quite a few window replacement companies where you live. I would suggest you get a few estimates. And stay out of the hardware stores, they don't sell very good windows.

o

Thank you. I guess that is what I will do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here