Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window help in Seattle

Posted by jbaumga (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 5, 09 at 0:01

I have a dozen windows to replace and I need some help.
First off, I have 22 year old double pane aluminum Milgard windows in the house. They seem to be reasonably efficient but a few have broken and a couple just sweat constantly throughout the winter.

Given the tax rebates and good prices, I figured now was as good a time as any to replace them.

A couple of questions for the group:

1. Am I nuts?

2. If I replace them, I would like to go with vinyl or fiberglass. The price seems to be about $100 a window different for a higher end vinyl product. Can anyone help me understand if there is a DOWNSIDE to fiberglass vs. vinyl?

3. If I go with fiberglass, does anyone have a recommendation for the best window (especially for rain)? I have looked at the Milgard Ultra and the Marvin Integrity Ultrex so far - they are about the same price but Milgard has more options (like casements).

4. If I go with Vinyl, does anyone have a suggestion? I am looking at the Milgard Tuscany line but would love pros/cons.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window help in Seattle

I just joined today because I was researching penguin windows and there is another post on this forum I will be posting to. My daughter just got windows from Penguin 4 bedroom, 1 bath and a slide glass door window for $19,000, I don't know how she got talked into it but I'm working to help her out of this mess and have penguin pick up their windows after I show her how to have someone do a home remodel. Basically get 3 or more bids from window installers, don't let the other company know the price of a previous bidder but let them know they are competing with other installers and you will let them know if there price is acceptable the next day, just get them out of the house before you make a decision. Then research the company online if my daughter would have spent 30 seconds online she would have seen scam all over the internet about Penguin windows and it basically about pricing. So just beware and take your time. An example of pricing difference milliard windows for what she needs will cost about $220 bedroom, $99 bath and $900 for the sliding door, these are triple pane, argon filled windows and a ball park figure for window and install is under $4000, compared to $19000.00 plus interest for the other company the difference in cost would never equal the amount of any energy loss. Vancouver, WA isn't the antarctic and either is Seattle. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here