Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midwestmama_gw

Windsor Windows

midwestmama
14 years ago

We went with our builder today to look at windows. His brother is a regional repair guy for Windsor Windows and speaks highly of them (he's not in our region, so he's not cashing in from that) They use Windsor Windows almost exclusively in their builds here. They also tout that they are locally built (we're in Des Moines, Iowa) But then again we have Pella and Jeld Wen nearby so that isn't a huge selling point to me. The major building center that we were at spoke very highly of Windsor also. Sounds great, but as I look on here and online I see many negative comments on them. Have they improved? Are their vinyl better than their wood? (One of the most common issues I see is wood rot, so if we do vinyl this perhaps is a non-issue) It sounds like Marvin is the gold standard in windows, and I would be interested in getting a price on them, but budget is always an issue too. We're looking at approx 30 double hung windows. We're leaning towards vinyl.

There seems to be SO MANY window companies it is driving me crazy trying to figure it all out.

I told the building center and the builer that I would be researching Windsor and get back to them.

Thanks for any input!

Comments (11)

• pps7
    14 years ago

We will be using Windsor Windows in our new home. We're doing extruded aluminum clad windows, so I don't know anything about vinyl. We looked at allthe major brands. The Marvin and Kolbe & Kolbe were very nice but a bit out of our price range.

• cartercrest_aol_com
    12 years ago

I had l0 windows replaced with Windsor in my house. So far, I've been really pleased with them...they also have warrenties..so, if there's a problem, you should contact them.

• lmalcomb_interlakescap_com
    12 years ago

Looking to replace a couple gearboxes was wondering where I can go. From Madison South Dakota

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

Are they Windsor windows?

If so, I would start with them.

If not, I would try the following.

http://www.strybuc.com/

https://www.blainewindow.com//index.cfm?

• daisy71
    11 years ago

This post is a year old. I was wondering if, a year later, some of you have more to say about their experience with Windsor windows.
    We are building a house and are considering using Windsor for the whole house so any feedback anyone can provide will be welcome!
    Thanks.

• researchgal1
    11 years ago

I've had Windsor vinyl casements as egress windows in my basement for three years now. They work great - no complaints at all. No leakage; open and shut easily.

From what I've read, any window -- doesn't matter what brand -- will end up with condensation if you don't have adequate ventilation and/or too much humidity in your house compared to the surface temperature of the window pane. If you keep curtains or shades pulled most of the time, it restricts airflow to the surface of the window and condensation will form in colder weather since a pocket of cooler air develops between the shade and window. This will happen no matter what the brand. I learned this from personal experience -- I have Marvin wood windows in the upper levels of my house and if I keep the shades pulled in winter, I end up with condensation and ice.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

+1

Any window will sweat in the right set of conditions.

Some, by lack of attention to detail via air leakage and thermal bridging, will be more prone but none are immune.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

+2. A tighter, more thermally efficient assembly and glass package will be MORE resistant to condensation, but as WOW mentioned, the right (or wrong) circumstances will cause any window to sweat, as it will typically be the weak (coldest) spot of any wall assembly.

• mikesusan1320
    8 years ago

Just know what you're getting into
    with your warranty. I have Pinnacle Series windows on my house. They were
    installed in October of 2005. In 2012 to 2014 I noticed that the paint on the
    outside was chipping off. I checked into the warranty and saw that it was a 10
    year on the paint. I contacted Windsor on October 2015, (10 years from
    instillation) with pictures of the windows. (Only 3 out of 12 total windows
    were affected) They informed me that the 10 years started from the manufacture
    date, not the instillation date. The manufacture date was February of 2005. So
    the windows sat in the warehouse for 8 months using up the warranty. They told me I was out of luck. Live and learn but I will not use them in the
    next house I build.

• peter choi
    7 years ago

Just had the Pinnacle series (extruded aluminum clad windows) casement installed in my house. It does NOT perform any better than my 30 yr old previous window. The owner of contractor company came out and agreed that there is air leaking in thru the sash and window sill. Technician from Windsor Window agreed as well. Then a regional sales manager came to look at it, and he basically played dumb and said he's not feeling any air leaking. The sales manager basically came out to say they are not going to help in any way. I can only speak for the Pinnacle series casement windows, but the quality of windows delivered was also below expectation. If there is anyone evaluating Windsor Window, based on my experience I strongly recommend you stay away from Windsor windows because they are not worth the money. Luckily, I only replaced my bedroom windows upstairs. I will NOT use Windsor Windows again for first floor.