Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thermatru vs Provia?

Posted by dancingqueen (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 23, 09 at 22:55

I have to replace my front door as the entire bottom of the frame has rotted out. I'm in Minnesota and am looking at Fiberglass for obvious reasons. Would appreciate opinions on Therma Tru vs Provia. I like the styles of Provia - and especially the glass options much better. But I'm looking at a catalog. Therma Tru is supposed to have very "realistic" fiberglass. They seem pretty limited on the glass options. Thanks for any opinions or experience.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thermatru vs Provia?

Provia is the better of the 2. I'd ask to see the Provia Signet Fiberglass if you want a look that is very close to real wood.

o

Thank you skydawg.

o

They are both excellent doors. I've sold them both. If you're looking at the ThermaTru Classic Craft, the biggest difference in the past has been that the ProVia comes pre-finished. However, depending on where you are located, pre-finishing may be available on the ThermaTru as well. Typically, the ProVia has a much bigger price tag, which is difficult to justify based on whatever miniscule differences there may be. For my money, I'd stick with the ThermaTru Classic Craft. You may save a little money, and you'll never regret the decision.

John Batts
General Manager
Thermal Windows, Inc.
Oklahoma City, OK

o

Now John, thats just not true that the only difference is pre-finished. As a dealer, you should know that the Provia Steel doors are 20 gauge while the Therma Tru are 26 gauge. For those unfamiliar with the difference, the Provia is 40% thicker steel, The Therma Tru almost feels like aluminum next to the Provia. I won't even get into the structural differences between the 2 doors.

o

anyone else have an opinion on this? is there justification for the almost $2K price difference? I understand that Provia is 20 gauge and Therma Tru is 26 gauge, but will that REALLY make a difference? Is my door going to bend in the middle when the wind blows? Just trying to justify the huge price difference.

o

I am bumping this old thread to see if anything has changed.

Most people around here carry Therma Tru. After reading rave reviews of ProVia, I called them to find local dealers and they only had two.

Before I start jumping through the hoops to get it, I want to know more about the differences. The above mentioned ones (26 gauge vs. 20 gauge) does not apply to fiberglass doors.

What do you think?

TX!

o

with steel, the lower the guage the thicker.. 20 guage is about 40% thicker than 26 guage that therma tru uses. provia uses 20 guage which is basically commercial grade, its that thick. why is that important? the 26 guage dents easily for one. also, the provia is designed much better and has built in security and insulation features. structurally, there is no comparison. also, provia utilizes a finishing process (painting) that is far superior and longer lasting. customers ask all the time why home depot doors are so cheap. after i explain the difference they immediately understand. cheap doors never last !
another quality door similar to provia is HMI . both hmi and provia make some beautiful fiberglass doors as well.

o

I sell both Thermatru and Provia. I sell 90% fiberglass because it is not much more than steel, and I think its a much better product. Provia is a better built door (one of the best ,IMO), but Thermatru's FG products are pretty nice, especially their higher end products. Some of the info above may be outdated as all of the doors that I order are prefinished, and they have a pretty extensive selection of glass and other options as well.

o

I have never sold Provia (either under this name or their previous name) but back a few years ago I sold the hell out of Therma Tru. As HomeSealed states their high end products are a good solid product if properly installed and maintained.

o

I've installed hundreds of Thermatru doors and if they didn't arrive dented I was lucky. If your on a tight budget, go with the Thermatru and cross your fingers. I never thought they were built very well. Provia is an excellent door, built extrememly well, and they always cause me to pause and just admire them for a minute. Excellence costs more. Doors are no different from cars or clothes. IMHO it's worth it in the long run. I can only give my opinion, as that's all you paid for :)

o

We now have the option of pre-finishing on the Therma-Tru doors in our area and I have found when you add the stain option to a Classic Craft door you are very close in price to a ProVia Heritage fiberglass door of similar a style.

I think the Therma-Tru doors are pretty good but the ProVia doors are certainly built better. The ProVia Signet fiberglass door is the nicest fiberglass door I have ever seen.

o

I agree. I installed a Provia Signet Fiberglass Door with Cherry finish and Emtek handles on my house a little over a year ago. Beautiful door. Even though my friends know I'm in the business, we get a lot of comments on how nice it is.

o

Thank you!

OK, so when it is time to get a new front entrance door, I'll get ProVia.

But if I am hearing you right, it wouldn't make much difference for patio doors, or would it???

I am only interested in FG as it is very humid here, that is why i said that the gauge comparison did not aply. Oh, and the doors will NOT be stained, only painted.

o

I'd go with the Heritage fiberglass then. Definitely get the factory paint job. You might also want to look at buying the hardware on your own. Provia is quite high on handles and locks. Just make sure you at least buy Schlage. Emtek and Baldwin are even better and will really make the door look nice. If you go this way, have Provia do the door prep and then just have your contractor install it for you for a slight charge.

o

anything by provia will be better than thermaTru. all the high end dealers use provia or HMI Doirs. they may offer thermaTru as a drop down.

o

the new thermatru upper end fiber glass isnt bad, just not near the same level as provia or HMI .
the thermaTru steel door is not even close to provia or HMI in terms of quality and design.

o

Hello. Been a while since this thread was used so hoping that someone still responds. We are looking for a new front entry door with two sidelights. Debating on Provia versus Therma Tru. Provia door will cost us about $7,100 while the Therma Tru will cost us about $5,000. Both doors are similar in style, our house faces east but is covered under the front entry overhang, so little light. In addition we have really nice trim on the inside of our door, one provider says its salvageable while the other says they cannot confirm because they are not certain how the trim was installed. Any feedback? Thanks.

o

Can't tell if the trim is salvageable most times until you start pulling it off. Depends on how it was nailed in.

What door did you like better?

Were they similarly optioned out?

I am not sure if I can justify a 40% price delta between the two though most would agree that the Provia is the better, in most cases, of the two.

o

+1. Hard to justify the difference on product alone, but the Provia is a better door. Are these two separate contractors? I would throw your level of comfort with each company in there for proper weight as well. Installation is half of the equation ;)

o

I don't know anything about Provia, but we have a Thermatru front door and aren't too thrilled with it. We are trying to get a rep out to look at it - there is dirt collecting between the glass panes (and it was installed by a great carpenter, not Lowes) but their customer service has not been great. We had a crack in our Pella windows and this door complaint at the same time. Pella has already resolved the window AND called back to check in. Therma Tru has yet to even respond back to my call (we contacted them through the dealer) and I called both companies on the same day. REALLY unhappy with their customer service. Although they did replace another Therma Tru side door we had that was defective with no arguement. The downside was they said we had to bring the door in and exchange it where we bought it, or pay for a new one and wait for a refund, which was a little crazy.

o

Provia is much better..HMI is up there as well.

o

I have a Provia front Door. Signet Cherry finerglass. Everyone who sees it cant believe that its not wood. Provia iis definately the better door but its also a little more expensive i think.

o

Little more expensive is probably a bit of an understatement but they are pretty.

o

@ Sarah, that is the value of purchasing a product "installed" from a reputable dealer. They take care of all warranty service and deal with the manufacturer on your behalf. They are quite a bit more responsive to businesses that purchase tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of product from them every year, in comparison to one person buying one door. Not saying that it is right, but it is what it is and it is not isolated to any one manufacturer.

o

"Little more expensive is probably a bit of an understatement but they are pretty"

Yep. I got a special deal through someone i know, if i had to pay regular price i dont know if i would have done it.

o

@homesealed - that makes total sense - but doesn't make it less frustrating when the rep doesn't call back. :) But two weeks after the initial call, we finally did get a hold of someone and they are replacing the glass under warranty.

o

Good to hear! Better late than never as they say :)

o

As a dealer we sell both. The provia can get much more $ as the decorative glass becomes more intricate. But The Signet Door is as good as any Jeld Wen or Signature Door we have installed for much less. Thermatru requires a lot of maintenance as the finish gets older. Provia warrants the finish for at least 6 years. The quality of the doors is apparent, even when they are brand new. Thermatru makes a good door, but if you want your last door, get a Provia.

o

Agree..provia is a much higher quality than ThermaTru.

o

After going around and around my wife and i are leaning towards the Provia. It's a very solid great quality door, one of the best I have seen. My only gripe, we have to choose one of the factory stains which really limits us unless we want to pay hundreds more for a custom stain that would match our existing stain throughout the house. Can anyone confirm this? I would like a second opinion. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here