Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancingqueengw

Thermatru vs Provia?

dancingqueengw
14 years ago

I have to replace my front door as the entire bottom of the frame has rotted out. I'm in Minnesota and am looking at Fiberglass for obvious reasons. Would appreciate opinions on Therma Tru vs Provia. I like the styles of Provia - and especially the glass options much better. But I'm looking at a catalog. Therma Tru is supposed to have very "realistic" fiberglass. They seem pretty limited on the glass options. Thanks for any opinions or experience.

Comments (119)

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    6 years ago

1) Provia makes a very nice door, and with 2) sidelites or a double door, that pricing sounds like its in the normal range, particularly given the custom sizing. Where within that range it falls will depend on a host of other details from style, glass package, stain/paint options, etc.

2) Personally I say fiberglass all the way, but Provia's steel door is very nice as steel doors go.

3) On double doors vs sidelites, it depends on the aesthetics that you prefer. I will say that double doors seem to be enjoying a renaissance right now, however they can be a little tricky to get and maintain a super tight air seal.

Lastly and most importantly, if you are in NoVa I'd highly suggest talking to Windows on Washington if you have not already done so. Highly respected contributor to the site here, and an excellent company to deal with. There are not many companies that I would personally vouch for, but Eric and his team over there get my highest recommendation.

• PRO
    Window1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

i agree, that pricing is good. tProvia make a very good door.

i also recommend windows on washington. they are one of the very few contractors i would ever recommend.

• jubbean2
    6 years ago

As a consumer, we all wonder if we are getting products that meet our needs and will perform to our expectations for the cost we pay. I will honestly say that I was a bargain shopper for many of my home improvement projects and I have the scars to prove it. Every bargain project I hired a contractor for was a complete waste of money, time and had to be redone. In many instances, the bargain replacement was worse than the original item because the new cheaper items tended to fail immediately after installation. For instance, my old leaking ThermaTru door allowed water in that rotted the door sill and ruined the hardwood floor in the foyer of my house. Door cost = $3K and new floor from foyer, kitchen and power room $6K. Not to mention the countless hours trying to get the builder to fix the door and forget about trying to get anyone to account for the damage done to the floor for the improper installation. Count yourself as lucky if you can get a ThermaTru contractor to replace the door the builder purchased and believe me neither are willing to entertain how their productor their installation resulted in ruining your floors. I call the builder and the manufacturer pointing fingers as the circle of hell - does help you but clears them. My sincere appeal to every consumer is don't waste the $$$ like I did. Save yourself money, time and mental health issues -do it right once and forget it.

• roadking1470
    6 years ago

I live in florida west coast and just put a deposit to have 14 impact windows installed with cws out of ocala and two sliders 8x6 and 6x6x from provia any feed back ?

• millworkman
    6 years ago

roadking, you may want to start your own thread in this forum as this is an oldie and more about fiberglass doors (ThemaTru and Provia) than windows.

• roadking1470
    6 years ago

I understand but still would like any input on my question, maybe from you millwork man, I'm new to this computer stuff lol

• PRO
    6 years ago

Provia makes a nice slider. Not sure about cws... You will definitely get more feedback on a new thread though as mwm suggested.

• jubbean2
    6 years ago

I have impact sliding patio doors from Provia and they are fabulous. The only problem for you in Florida is getting the coating to keep out the radiant heat for the sun. As I recall when I ordered my door, I could not get the impact feature with the heat coating. My door is under a covered porch so little sun.

• PRO
    Window1
    6 years ago

I am quite certain that impact glass does come with lowE.

• 70ahasan
    6 years ago

I live in Maryland and bought a foreclosure house last year and one of the things I need to do is replace my entry door. After doing a lot of research I've decided on a provia french door. It's going to be costly but I've decided to try and add value to the home when I sell it in 5-10 years. I don't expect to be in this house that long. I'm getting quoted between $11k-$14k. Looking at both Heritage and Signet but leaning towards signet. I wont be adding any sidelites which I have now. I think it really comes down to the type of glass as well. Anyone know what a good target price should be for a Signet french door with decorative/privacy glass in the door and transom above it(haven't decided whether it should be privacy, clear or decorative).

• jubbean2
    6 years ago

Honestly, Provia is the best door but you may not recoup your investment on an expensive door unless you are in upscale neighborhood like Bethesda, Potomac, etc. If you are planning to stay in this home, I highly recommend the purchase of the Provia door. However, if it is a flip I say go the cheaper option of an entry door because the average home buyer will not see the value in the quality door you have chosen. My advice is to spend the money on the remodel of the bathroom and the kitchen to recoup more than your investment.

I live an average neighborhood and I know that no one will appreciate the money I have invested in my Provia Signet entry, glass patio, and (2) steel doors but I do. No noise, air, water and optimum security. For as long as I live in my house, I get to enjoy those features.

• PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'd agree jubbean if this was an immediate flip, but I'd caution that a bargain door will likely be showing significant wear at 5-10 years. One of the most difficult things in educating homeowners on is the difference between high end and low end, because they really don't look all that different "out of the box". Its all of the little things like the manufacturing tolerances, slab construction, skin thickness, frame material, finish quality, etc that will have the door still looking and operating like new after 10 years as opposed to being ready for replacement at that juncture... Clearly I'm "preaching to the choir" on this, as it sounds like you made an excellent purchase.

That said, going along that line of thinking, the Heritage is a nice option that is high quality, but saves a little $$$ on the Signet since it is not a "forever home".

On price, that one will be really hard to nail down. As mentioned there can be some major swings based on glass package etc, but even more profound can be the difference from say a small company where the owner installs and has very little overhead, to one that has a large staff, showroom, etc. Best thing that you can do to compare is exactly what you are doing. Find 2-3 established local companies with a great reputation, and if the first one is higher than you expected, cross check it by getting one or two more.

• jubbean2
    6 years ago

I looked into selling my home recently and I have all the Provia doors I mentioned, a Decra steel panel roof, Okna windows, Brazillian hardwood floors, an builder grade kitchen and master bath about 20 years old. The feed back I received from prospective buyers were greatly reduced offers on the home based on the old kitchen and master bath. People don't care about the quality they don't want. Some people don't care about quality in windows, doors, roofs, etc. because they don't appeal to the visual aesthetics of home buyers. I completely agree the cheap door will show wear after 5 -10 years so just buy another cheap door or paint the old one and it will appeal to more prospective buyers. Until those folks, live with the discomfort of low quality doors, windows, roofs, floors, etc. they are not willing to pay for and there by appreciate them.

• PRO
    6 years ago

" I completely agree the cheap door will show wear after 5 -10 years so just buy another cheap door or paint the old one and it will appeal to more prospective buyers. Until those folks, live with the discomfort of low quality doors, windows, roofs, floors, etc. they are not willing to pay for and there by appreciate them."

Wiser words have never been spoken jujubean, except for the part about "just buying another cheap door". Most times buying a cheap door or set of windows twice costs more than just doing it right the first time. It sounds like you put forth a great amount of thought into selecting excellent choices for your home, be proud of that. Certainly getting reduced offers on your home probably feels like a slap in the face, but had you done the kitchen before the roof for instance, it is very possible that you'd get the same reduced offers based on a roof at its life expectancy... In my experience buyers today are increasingly looking for quality, but they also want move in ready... Anyway, I don't mean to be argumentative. I think that you made great choices on the products that you purchased and while it stings to not get the offers that you would like on the home, I think that you would really have been kicking yourself had you gone the cheap route.

• jubbean2
    6 years ago

No offense taken. I find buyers of today willing to pay for their top choices not yours. The good news is that I have decided to stay because I know that I will not in my lifetime have to worry about a roof, doors, floors or windows. No new or newer home can offer me those assurances I have in my home so I am staying put until I kick out of town for retirement. Sadly, the urgency to replace the roof, windows and doors came before tackling the sexy choice of a new kitchen. I am proud of my research and all of the choices I made. It was like a kick in the gut to get the lower offers but I don't regret anything and would do it again for myself. Life is short so live well.

• PRO
    6 years ago

I think you went about it the right way ;)

• Sirk
    6 years ago

I have contacted Provia to inquire about their product. They send me to two of their dealers . One does not want to travel 90 minutes to install their product and another does not answer their phone. I guess provia is out!

• dozen
    5 years ago

STEEL DOORS CAN BE RECYCLED!! I would think that that makes them better for the environment???

• Ron Mexico
    5 years ago

So can urine, but I can think of about 101 things I'd rather drink.

Steel isn't worth much, especially not when you would have to strip and reconstruct the door, scrape off the foam inside etc. I have scrappers that take most metal out of my dumpster but steel doors never are. Realistically they are not recycled. I suppose you could say that the very small number of doors that are recycled may offset the small improvement in energy efficiency in a fiberglass door, so call those a wash.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    5 years ago

Just fell out of my chair reading that reply. Hilarious.

• Pamela Renaud
    5 years ago

My husband and I are remodeling. We are shopping for French doors for our dining room and new master bedroom addition. Priced Provia and Therma-Tru. Provia was $5,710 vs Therma-Tru at $3,400. Our home is valued at approximately $250,000. Love the warranty but not the price. Is Provia really the best for our home's price range?

• jubbean2
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Provia is the product you only have to buy once. I bought a Provia door about 3 years ago and my neighbor bought a ThermaTru door last year. I have had no call backs on my Provia door and my neighbor has had several service calls on the ThermaTru door because it needs adjusting it for different things each time they visit. Now, my neighbor complains it is difficult to schedule the appointments with the firm that sold her the door. I know the Provia door price is steep but trust me - it is worth every penny. There are times when $3,400 is too expensive if what you bought does not deliver on day one and you figure taking off work to meet service personnel and buying rugs to keep air coming in as part of the overall price tag. This is when the cheap becomes expensive. Right about now, I think my neighbor would not opt for a ThermaTru door if it were free. Good luck with your purchase.

• James May
    5 years ago

PROVIA! PROVIA! PROVIA! We have sold Therma-tru for several years but are literally pulling their whole product line from our store. Since Therma-tru went in the box stores their quality has suffered. This winter alone we had 7 glass seal failures with doors between 13 months to 22 months old. The glass was covered but the labor was not. We had customers get service bills from Therma-tru ranging from $575 to $1100. Sad to see a good brand go down so much.

On the other hand, Provia has been a Godsend. We started off slow, because of the price difference, but I can truly say the Signet Series stained in any of the grain patterns is absolutely amazing. You can even feel the wood grain.

Provia's attention to detail, engineered components-(Additional Foot for support in the threshold, Composite bottom section of the frame, and thicker fiberglass skins and 20 gauge steel) are designed for real life and longevity.

There really is not comparison. Provia is the best

• jubbean2
    5 years ago

Mic drop - out!

• scondia
    5 years ago

We replaced our old door with a Thermatru fiberglass about 6 years ago and absolutely love it. Never had any problems, but remember a good installer is also important, It is just as beautiful today as it was when we purchased it from Lowes. We are building a new home and the sales guy is trying to convince us to go with the Provia. If it is going to be several thousands more, I can't justify it as we are completely satisfied with the Thermatru. I will add that our entry door was under a covered porch and we did have a storm door as well.

• PRO
    Window1
    5 years ago

scondia

i give you credit for having the guts to purcahse a door from lowes. That does take a lot of courage. Perhaps you were a stuntman in a prior life.

As far as you being happy with therma tru.... well, many people are very happy with a Kia until they drive a mercedes and there outlook on cars then changes rather quickly. Provia is thousands more because its simply made better.

• jubbean2
    5 years ago

Mic drop - out.

• PRO
    Windows Pittsburgh
    5 years ago

I sold one Therma-Tru door in 2012 and had to replace it due to a poor paint job. Our customer just needed new glass and Therma-Tru could not find the order. Provia has always stood behind thier products. I will never sell another Therma-Tru door again. Provia doors have a double lifetime warranty, Therma-Tru doors warranty cannot compare to Provia's.

• jubbean2
    5 years ago

Mic drop - out.

• Window Pro
    5 years ago

I always viewed therma- tru as a second rate door and the therma tru sold at the home improvement centers just a run of the mill contractor grade product that i would never offer. Provia is so much better its not even close. Another good door similar in quality to Provia is a company called Home -Guard. They also make a very well designed door. Home Guard Industries has very nice features and like Provia, is built extremely well.

• Deuce
    4 years ago

Provia for me! I live in in the Colorado front range and we have considerable swings in weather (warm and sunny one day, snow, the next) and lots of strong wind. I will be replacing a 1981 double wood door that faces north. My plan is to take it to a single fiberglass door w sidelights or maybe a contemporary design. I have researched Provia thoroughly. Take a look at their video from Sugarcreek, OH where they are made. No comparison w Therma-Tru if you look at how the door is constructed. I plan to go w the Signet as soon as I meet my reno budget for the door. My estimate in 2017-2018 was $11,000+. I have to admit, that was a "take my breath away" show stopper. It has taken me awhile to realize you get what you pay for in a door and I want it done right. I am living w a wooden stained double door that flies open if it isn't locked w the deadbolt due to the winds we get up here! I can't wait to purchase my new Provia door! I encourage all to find your nearest show room and to go and look at the Provia doors. You cannot tell that the Signet isn't a wooden door and far more solid than my wood stained door! Your salesman will bring all the items with him that you need to design your dream door. I also recommend the Provia website. You can upload a photo of your home, then place the door you design on Provia.com right into your home.

• Windowmaster
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Provia make a very good door. Therma tru doesnt come close.

• HU-524817988
    3 years ago

Don't buy them. Their windows are drafty and hard to install. I regret having them put in my home.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Don't buy what windows? 90% of drafty and hard to install is due to installation errors and a general lack of installation knowledge.

• scottl10
    2 years ago

Separate question: Do the Provia signet doors feel closer to a wood door? Specifically, I tend to like the more substantial weight of wood doors. Doesn't have to be equal but do they feel closer?

• PRO
    2 years ago

They are pretty heavy at that point. Might want to look at an Embarq series as well.

• Lori
    2 years ago

I’ve been following this thread because I’m wanting to replace my door. Given everyone’s comments I decide to go with ProVia.......until this moment after just receiving an estimate. I don’t know what I was expecting , but for a single door with no sidelights it was over $11k for the Signet Series. It is a nice door, but way too high of a price tag for my situation. I knew I could go with Therma Tru for more than half that cost. Obviously not the same quality, but for those who are budgeting around $5k ProVia isn’t an option unfortunately.

• D B
    2 years ago

I currently have 7 orders waiting to be shipped from Provia. The most expensive order is 7 doors for a total of $20k. The rest of the orders are all less than $10k, with no single door going for more than $3500. Granted I don't have any Embarq doors on order, but to say you need $11k to get a Provia isn't accurate. They have quite a few price points. None of these prices include installation. Don't give up on Provia just yet, dig in and find out what drove the price.

• Lori
    2 years ago

Oh my gosh DB that is amazing! I cannot tell you how shocked I was., however that price did include installation. I’m going give it another try then.

• 70ahasan
    2 years ago

Ibfrey,

Provia can get expensive but you can negotiate and like DB said there are certainly different price points. Biggest thing for me was not just durability but curb appeal. I got French doors. Can't recall which line of doors I bought but it was towards the high end. The increase curb appeal does wonders for your property values, Not to mention the many great comments from people visiting my home for the first time.

• PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Talking about door prices and attempting to compare their realized prices without all of the details on them (glass, materials, trim, surrounds, finishes, etc.) is a completely FAILED undertaking.

I can fill the same opening with two doors from the SAME manufacturer and be at 1X for the one door, and 2X for the other door.

• Lori
    2 years ago

I completely understand your comment Windows of Washington, but the initial price was a total shock to me. I do want to give an update on that price now. So it started at 11k then there was a “special”, the price came down a little bit.....then suddenly there was another unadvertised “special”. I still was not interested in making a commitment and then again yet another reduction if I purchase by this weekend. Bottom line the door is now around 8k. Personally I hate playing these games. Just give me a true price from the beginning.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

I would not use a contractor who quoted a price based on "commit now and I'll reduce the price". Those never bode well. I'd get another contractor to provide a quote, and leave that one out of the running.

• PRO
    2 years ago

While there is clearly a cost to have to come back to the home and take the order on a second trip, faux artificial pressures beyond the actual nuts and bolts costs associated with real project costs and savings are a bit off-putting.

• Nancy Bambacht
    2 years ago

Is there a significant benefit to get a Provia Signet door over the Heritage door when the door will be painted? I live in Michigan and the door faces south with no protection. Our last Prachtree door leaked severely causing extensive damage famage and we do not want to repeat this. Also considering a storm door for added protection.

• PRO
    Windows Pittsburgh
    2 years ago

Signet doors have a 15 year finish warranty. Signet doors are made from scratch in the factory, while Heritage slabs are made by a different supplier. The Signet door is the best door on the market.

• PRO
    2 years ago

A little bit of hyperbole above, but the Signet door is indeed a measureable step up from Heritage and is one of the better doors out there. The "skins" are still outsourced, but the overall slab is assembled by Provia. Paint or stain wouldn't be much of a determining factor if door quality is a concern for you.

As far as the storm, for a South facing door, talk to your sales person about the need for venting and/or tinted glass. A storm will protect the door, but it can also be detrimental if excess heat is able to build up between the two.

• PRO
    Windows Pittsburgh
    2 years ago

Provia doors are guaranteed not to delaminate. I would recommend venting the door

• Case Ellis
    2 years ago

I just signed a contract for 2 Provia doors. 1 was a Fiberglass Signet, stained stained, with Tacoma sidelites. Due to the opening it has to be customized. 2nd door is a Legacy series entry door for the side entry of my garage which matches the design of the entry door, also custom. Total with installation for both doors came to $11,200.

• HU-735957713
    2 years ago

I currently have a ThermaTrue dorr that leaks and the leaking has caused some internal damage to molding. i just recieved a qutoe on Provia. i was wondering if Provia was a good door. sounds like they are and also sounds like i’m not alone with my ThermaTrue issues. ill be going with Provia: 2 sidelights and a storm door. its expensive but i want quality.