Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

How would you finish these windows?

Posted by mears (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 11 at 22:25

I had a contractor replace some windows while his crew was residing one of my exterior walls. The finished look leaves a bit to be desired, which I kinda anticipated. I previously had a very shallow aluminum window with dry wall return and another set of vinyl windows that were just a bit deeper than the fiberglass windows I replaced all three with. The new windows are new construction style and were installed from the outside. I’m trying to figure out how to get a finished look with my new windows.

Here’s the first window: : Left Side. Window is leaning up against old dry wall return : Right Side. Dry wall return was cut back and window is more or less pressed up against the cut edge of the dry wall return. The cut isn’t very straight, so the gap isn’t uniform. : Top. Window is underneath the old dry wall return.
The bottom is sitting on top of my window stool, which seems odd.

Here’s the second window: : Left Side. You can see that the gap along the bottom is far more pronounced than the top. The drywall return is not plumb. Window is closer to plumb. : Right Side. This time, the gap is wider towards the top. Goes from being nearly perfect at the bottom, to a 3/8” gap at the top.

Third Window is similar to the second, but not as bad.

I’m trying to figure out what to do. I could probably case out the first window, but I have 6 windows that are like the second one pictured, where casing isn’t an option, so I’m probably not going to do that. The other option would be to have the dry wall returns redone. I’d have to hire that out. The other option would be to add some sort of screen moulding or other type of trim to “case” out the window. I’d probably go with PVC trim. I read about a similar approach in a thread a while aback and it seemed that the consensus was that that it was tacky. So, if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: How would you finish these windows?

Most installers would mitre cut a piece of 1/4 round to cover that rough edge and but it up right to that wall to window connection.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here