Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
walterhill

High STC Rating in a Cladded, Colored Window?

walterhill
14 years ago

I need a double-hung window that comes (or can be painted) in dark green on the exterior, due to homeowner's association rules. No white vinyl or storm windows are permitted. But I also want a high STC (sound dampening) rating, as I live on a street with significant traffic.

Pella and Andersen meet the color requirement. Pella's ProLine has an STC listed as "27 to 35" -- quite a range, and I'm still trying to figure that out (ProLine doesn't offer different glass choices -- it's all 2.5mm double panes). Pella also has Architect, in a laminated configuration, or its triple-pane Designer, both of which are 33 to 35. Anderson's standard Woodwright 400 and 200 are in the mid 20s for STC but its "Stormwatch" laminated solution is an STC of 34; however, that's a $830 window, according to the website. Marvin's windows only seem to achieve STC ratings in the 30s when combined with a storm window, which, again, I can't do.

If anyone knows better options, I'd love to hear them. I'd rather not install an extra storm-type window on the inside of the existing windows, such as SoundProofWindow, although that does appear to work and is clearly the least expensive fix.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor